AppleTV vs Mac Mini

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I bought an AppleTV last Friday and after reading some forums about it and the mac mini, I am starting to question why I got the AppleTV and I might return it.

Some questions I have and any input would be greatly appreciated. I have a 1080p Panasonic plasma.

Here is what I want to do with the AppleTV:

1) Rip all of my movies that I own on DVD and put them on an external HD so that I can access/watch them on my TV.

2) Have iTunes play music & iPhoto show photos that I control through AppleTV.

3) I get some tv shows through other means than iTMS. I would convert them for iTunes and watch them on the TV.

Can I do all this with a mac mini? What is the disadvantage of having the mac mini vs the AppleTV?

If I watch a movie/tv show through the mac mini, can I use Front Row for that or do I have to do it like now do on my computer: double click the icon and let VLC play it?

(I have an older Powermac G5 right now, so no front row. That's why the question)

I don't have a stereo yet. Can I run the sound through the TV from the mac mini?

And Would this cable work to connect the mac mini to the plasma?

Belkin PureAV HDMI Interface-to-DVI Video Cable

HDMI and DVI deliver the best possible digital, high-definition video for a superior viewing experience. And nothing helps maintain the quality of that experience like a Belkin PureAV video cable.

HDMI is backward-compatible with DVI, allowing you to connect HDMI-capable components and displays to equipment with DVI connections. This HDMI-to-DVI video cable is ideal for connecting digital displays such as DTVs, plasma displays, LCD TVs and projectors to digital source devices, such as DVD players/recorders, digital set-top boxes and AV receivers.