I know how they'll hack the iPod touch to make phone calls over Wifi

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Well the software bit may not be a total cinch, but judging by the things they've done with the iPhone, we can bet they'll manage this one.

It's simple really (after the software hack), all you will need is an iPod touch and the wired Apple iPhone Stereo Headset. Congrats, you now have a 16GB iPhone, well sort of

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Well the software bit may not be a total cinch, but judging by the things they've done with the iPhone, we can bet they'll manage this one.

It's simple really (after the software hack), all you will need is an iPod touch and the wired Apple iPhone Stereo Headset. Congrats, you now have a 16GB iPhone, well sort of

Or, Apple can release a .mac extension allowing voip calls on the ipod.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    You'd still need the hardware microphone aspect, though.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    I'm not so sure the touchpod even HAS a microphone... the headset plug in that model may not even support one...

A big clumsy external mic plugged into the 30-pin ?? ... might as well just get the real phone.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

You'd still need the hardware microphone aspect, though.

You did read my post right?

The wired Apple iPhone Stereo Headset headphones have a mic built in, and you get them to work using a software hack. Now you can make calls over WiFi. You speak into the mic, and you listen through the headset, just like when using the headset on the iPhone.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I'm not so sure the touchpod even HAS a microphone... the headset plug in that model may not even support one...

A big clumsy external mic plugged into the 30-pin ?? ... might as well just get the real phone.

I feel you didn't read my post either.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    I suspect a VOIP carrier can work up an iPod mic that talks to their software. There are already IPod mics that plug into the docking connector for voice recording so this isn't a very big step. And that plug doesn't have to be very big at all.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    the voip calling was my idea! skype would be an excellent thing to have on the touch. it'd be kind of like the mylo. but the mylo sucks. this would rock.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:

I feel you didn't read my post either.

That only applies if the jack receptacle in the touchpod has a contact for a mic. I'm not convinced that it does.

If you look at the jack on the end of the headphones, stereo phones have 3 contact positions... the ones with a mic have 4. If the internal jack doesn't have matching positions, no amount of software will make the mic work.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    KingOfSomewhereHot is correct Ireland. Sucks but it's 100% true. Unless someone invented a mic that would work through the Dock Connector, there will not be a way to make voice calls on this version of the Touch.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Some of the dock port mic adaptors for iPods aren't too hideous or ungainly.

It should be possible for an enterprising third party manufacturer to make a small dock connector module that does audio in and out through an earbud with mic on the cable arrangement.

However, if I just want an iPod that does VoIP, an unlocked iPhone looks like the better value, since it also has mail and maps.

That would be assuming that any kind of mic adapter would add back something like $50 of the $100 saved by getting an (8GB) Touch, and taking into account the kludginess of a dongle. 16GB would cost more and do less, less elegantly-- not really worth it, IMO.

In fact, IIRC, you don't even need the unlocked part, right? I seem to recall there was a pretty easy way to initialize the iPhone without an AT&T account, at which point you're already there.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SurfRat View Post

KingOfSomewhereHot is correct Ireland. Sucks but it's 100% true. Unless someone invented a mic that would work through the Dock Connector, there will not be a way to make voice calls on this version of the Touch.

That sucks, darn. I'll be getting an iPhone anyway Awaiting the 16GB version.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

the voip calling was my idea!

Yes Mr. Bell.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

Yes Mr. Bell.

ew bell internet is dirty D:
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

ew bell internet is dirty D:

No. Mr. Bell!
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

No. Mr. Bell!

schweeeettt!
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

These already exist for current iPods. The dock connector is the same. There should be minimal work in certifying them for the new iPods.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    I guess the iPod touch doesn't feature (non-advertised, hidden) Bluetooth by any chance?

/Adrian
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

I guess the iPod touch doesn't feature (non-advertised, hidden) Bluetooth by any chance?

/Adrian

It doesn't have bluetooth.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

These already exist for current iPods. The dock connector is the same. There should be minimal work in certifying them for the new iPods.

Yes, that is true. All of the microphones I've seen thus far are for recording audio in, not sending audio out, into an earpiece of some sort. I was just referring to the fact that something entirely new (invented) would need to be created to get this to work.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:

Yes, that is true. All of the microphones I've seen thus far are for recording audio in, not sending audio out, into an earpiece of some sort. I was just referring to the fact that something entirely new (invented) would need to be created to get this to work.

Sure they have audio out, headphone jacks. The dock connectors also do audio out just fine. I would think that someone using iPods for VOIP wouldn't mind much if they used the headphones rather than had a separate speaker at the wrong end of the phone. A purpose built set of headphones much like the iPhones that have a mic someplace on the cord would work well this way too, the cord would just have to plug into the dock connector too.