iPod Classic - Initial reaction and some questions

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Well I couldn't resist and just picked up my 160GB iPod Classic (Silver). Here are my thoughts and questions, in order of impression.

1) Price - Holy cow this is a good deal. $350 for 160GB!

2) Packaging - Efficient and solid. Not so "special" anymore, though.

3) Package contents - Pretty straight forward, now that we're used to no dock/no charger. I miss the days when I got everything I would have wanted with the 40 gig 3rd Gen (the last "big" iPod I bought). Now I have to get used to recharging by plugging into the PC at the office. Or hopefully they didn't disable charging with generic USB chargers like they did with the Shuffle. I've got lots of those around.

4) Case - Please recommend a good case that will leave my iPod completely 100% scratch-free. The front of the iPod looks durable. Is the screen better at resisting scratches now? Unfortunately, the back of the case is the same stainless steel that gets scratched so easily. What is the best way to protect it?

5) Click wheel - It seems less responsive than my 3G. Will it work through a wheel protector? I'm afraid the white wheel is going to start looking nasty with discoloration and scratches. Can anyone recommend a good wheel protector or case the covers the wheel?

6) Interface - I love the screen resolution but I'd rather have a smaller font and more info. The split screen doesn't really look so nice. I like the idea of transparency better.

7) Clicker - It's too quiet.

8) Aluminum edge - It sticks out just the slightest amount, making the iPod feel less solid and less smooth. I wish it were smooth and flush with the steel back.

9) Color - Oh, how I miss white. Wish they had a (PRODUCT)RED edition though. That would have been the best.

10) Screen - After you turn the brightness all the way up, it's gorgeous!

11) Camera connector - Does the same old camera conenctor work with the iPod Classic? Can you finally view photos after you transfer them, or do you still need to wait until you can sync them?

12) "Universal" Dock - Well I have one of these (and love it) but now I understand that if I want video out I have to buy a whole new one? What a crock. I guess I won't use the video function much then...

13) Videos - There's no iTunes store where I live, so what's the best source for compatible video content and the easiest way to convert for use with iTunes/iPod? Well... I could always use the eBay gift certificate option to add value to my US iTunes account. Also, what's the easiest way to convert DVD video to the iPod (I know that question's been asked a million times -- just point me to the appropriate thread).

14) Music Library! - Still don't know how to keep part of my iTunes library on my 120GB MacBook hard drive and part on an external drive, and sync it all to the iPod. Any tips? I expect to end up with at least 120GB of music.

Anyway, I love it so far. Haven't taken it home yet (I'm at the office) so I haven't synced anything. I'll post some more questions and comments as they pop up.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton

Please recommend a good case that will leave my iPod completely 100% scratch-free.

If you don't get this I feel sorry for you. I had my 5th Gen iPod for over a year, and because of this it had 'absolutely zero' scratches. And no, I never even bothered to use a case. The invisible Shield is not noticeable on your iPod when put in correctly, thus the name.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    rather than the invisible shield, which i do have for my 4g ipod and my dslr's screen, i've been buying bestskinsever and getting the same results. the material seems the same but the die cuts are different. i just put one on my moto q and my brother's iphone and they both work great. i have a "best skin" on my 5g ipod and my nano and they've held up great. plus they're much cheaper than an invisible shield. although invisible shields have a lifetime warranty where you can just write them and they'll send you another.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I've decided to get a silicone case. Mainly because I dropped it today and the case will hide the ding. :'(

I have an iSkin on my iPod photo, the silicon adds an extra bit of cushioning when/IF you drop it

as to the movie/TV show thing, just bring up the [INFO] on whatever movie/TV show you want to change either by right clicking on it or with [APPLE KEY and i] then click the [VIDEO] tab and where the "Video kind" drop down options are just select from "Movie" "TV Show" or "Music Video"

Its that simple.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I picked up a silver 160 gigger today, which means that a (Product) Red version will be released in 31 days, one day after my return period ends.

AFAIK, if you have the Universal Dock with the large round IR port, it should work. I have the component cable on order.