how can they do this????

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I want to know how HP can have such a cheap computer, i love my 24" imac, dont get me wrong, its very fast and i couldnt be happier, but how can hp offer this pc? like i mean even with a monoitor its still around half the price of my iMac and its way way cheaper than a mac pro, is it somthing Hp is cutting in the chipsets, like cheaper ones, or what?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0090770&catid=

it is better in my mac in every askpect, i have the 2.33 ghz one, i mean even with a monitor its still way cheaper??? hmm

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    ? no ?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Cheap motherboard, casing. Nothing special anything on there except the CPUs which are the cheap desktop ones (more powerful too).

Mac Pro uses Xeon's which are faster, but also more expensive. iMac uses laptop processors which are cooler, but more expensive.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    HP would have to pay me that much to use such a sub-par operating system as windows.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

HP would have to pay me that much to use such a sub-par operating system as windows.

my parents got an HP. the only thing that's good about it is that it has 3GB of ram and it comes with a 21.6 inch samsung lcd widescreen monitor which i find quite nice.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polarissucks View Post

I want to know how HP can have such a cheap computer, i love my 24" imac, dont get me wrong, its very fast and i couldnt be happier, but how can hp offer this pc? like i mean even with a monoitor its still around half the price of my iMac and its way way cheaper than a mac pro, is it somthing Hp is cutting in the chipsets, like cheaper ones, or what?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0090770&catid=

it is better in my mac in every askpect, i have the 2.33 ghz one, i mean even with a monitor its still way cheaper??? hmm

Put a 24" monitor on it and add about $400(that's low end for 24") to the cost. That then gets to $2100. How much did you pay for yours?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    i payed around 3500 + tax, i guess the parts must be cheaper but i mean wow, for the powerful of a computer, thats cheap of hp
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polarissucks View Post

i payed around 3500 + tax, i guess the parts must be cheaper but i mean wow, for the powerful of a computer, thats cheap of hp

Damn, that's a lot. The new iMac compares pretty well. A new 24" iMac with 2 gb RAM, 320 Gb HDD and applecare is $2118 USD. Pretty close to the HP if you get a 24" monitor.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    This is what I was saying in the thread about the headless Mac. The Core 2 Quad desktop CPU that this machine uses is ~$250 from Intel but the Core 2 Extreme dual laptop CPU, which I think they're using in the highest end iMac is ~$850.

Apple are just using more expensive and slower parts in the interests of making the slimmest AIO. As you may have seen in the many posts on the subject, a large number of us are not particularly happy about this.

But hey look on the bright side, at least you have a minimalist workspace, both your desk and your wallet are empty.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    The 8400GS is a 110% worthless graphic card. Might as well have Intel GMA950. The new iMacs can play Command&Conquer3 for Mac quite well at high resolution. Similarly for the MacBookPros.

Bottom line: Impressive specs on the HP, except you can't play 3D games and Vista is total rubbish.

Notice that the features do not mention anything about games on your HDTV, while fair enough this is a "HTPC" (Home Theatre PC) this means you have to shell out more for a console.

HD-DVD is nice, but what if you want Blu-Ray?

Also, how much more would you have to pay for decent software? The bundle is okay, but really nothing compared to iLife'08.

With Vista Ultimate, all sorts of background stuff running, and AntiVirus and Anti-Everything running in the background, that 3GB is chewed up pretty fast.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

...But hey look on the bright side, at least you have a minimalist workspace, both your desk and your wallet are empty.

There's also something that is less likely to be there: stress
  • Reply 11 of 11
    i think apple will come out with a solution for us who want a bit cheaper or maybe more powerful than the iMac but not ready to shell out for the mac pro, it would be great for them to bring somthing in the middle out. i know for a fact that hp doesnt use very good parts , my brothers laptop had his diskdrive crap out and has white blotches on his screen, and yah he says almost every day, grrr vista is doing this, dam spy where, dam vista is using 80 % of my ram while idle, i can say, my mac is uh , uh , ....white?