FCP and Photoshop/After Effects

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
So, I want to get FCP Studio 2 and Photoshop and After Effects CS3.

If you price this out, Photoshop and AE are about $995 EACH!!!

So if you get the Adobe Premium Production Suite CS3 which includes PS and AE plus Flash, Premire Pro etc... it's about $1700. So getting the suite saves you about $300...

But I dont need Premier Pro because I'm using FCP...

So, what are people doing about this? How are people going about getting the SW they need?

Are people just getting the Premium Suite and just not installing Premiere Pro?

Id like to hear from any post production peeps out there...

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O-Mac View Post

So, I want to get FCP Studio 2 and Photoshop and After Effects CS3.

If you price this out, Photoshop and AE are about $995 EACH!!!

So if you get the Adobe Premium Production Suite CS3 which includes PS and AE plus Flash, Premire Pro etc... it's about $1700. So getting the suite saves you about $300...

But I dont need Premier Pro because I'm using FCP...

So, what are people doing about this? How are people going about getting the SW they need?

Are people just getting the Premium Suite and just not installing Premiere Pro?

Id like to hear from any post production peeps out there...

Thanks!!!

What you have here is a genuine dillema. while many studios will employ a film editor separate from a special effects artist, seperate from a graphics artist, etc., many folks do all of these things themselves. Apple offers everything you need for a pure video production workflow. However, they don't really have a total package like Adobe does.

Adobe was smart to capitalize on this as it offers a total solution for a good price - but you must go all Adobe, or end up spending much more on redundant products.

If you can get some kind of discount (education, etc), then you could get the Adobe software you want and then get Final Cut Studio as well.

Other than that, you will end up paying some extra money in order to work with the software you want.

If you can afford both, Premiere Pro is pretty decent now and would be a compliment to final Cut Pro as they are similar, but each can do some things the other cannot (although Final Cut seems to have the edge).
  • Reply 2 of 2
    What does Premiere Pro do that Final Cut cant?