Mac OS X discs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My Hard Drive is reporting that that the volumne needs repair and i have lost the Mac OS X disks needed to boot from to conduct the repair. The drive is working normally i only encountered a problem while attempting to install boot camp when partitioning the drive. The only way to fix this problem is by using the installation disks that i have lost. Is there a way to get new copies of these disks/ or to repair the startup disk without these. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

My Hard Drive is reporting that that the volumne needs repair and i have lost the Mac OS X disks needed to boot from to conduct the repair. The drive is working normally i only encountered a problem while attempting to install boot camp when partitioning the drive. The only way to fix this problem is by using the installation disks that i have lost. Is there a way to get new copies of these disks/ or to repair the startup disk without these. Any help is appreciated.

I haven't tried on tiger, but before that you could boot the Mac into single user mode and run a disk check from the command line. The instructions are on this page:-

http://www.traug.org/osxtips.html

under the heading "Run The Test"
  • Reply 2 of 4
    If your Mac is under warranty you could phone AppleCare and request replacement disks. There is a small fee charged for this.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    i phoned applecare and i can get new disks for $25 each. I dont mind paying if i have to but there might be an easier way to solve my problem. Before installing boot camp i used a trial version of vmware fusion and this partitioned the drive. It is this partition which prevents boot camp from installing. Perhaps there a free program to remove this?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    It is very important that you have your install discs with you at all times. It really eases many headaches, honestly. I would recommend do pay for the replacement discs and don't lose them!