Do I want to buy an Iphone?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With the new Ipod touch coming out with a 16 gig flash drive, does anybody think its best to wait for the 16 gig Iphone? The only difference I see is the phone, and I already have one. Is there solid evidence that a 16gig Iphone is coming out soon? I guess I'm more about music and video than A phone, but it would be nice to have a "do all" too.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post


    With the new Ipod touch coming out with a 16 gig flash drive, does anybody think its best to wait for the 16 gig Iphone? The only difference I see is the phone, and I already have one. Is there solid evidence that a 16gig Iphone is coming out soon? I guess I'm more about music and video than A phone, but it would be nice to have a "do all" too.



    It's hard to tell. Given the 16 GB touch they could produce a 16 GB iPhone now, but you'd think they would have introduced it at the last event. My guess is they are waiting for a 3G phone before they change the iPhone and that could come soon (European launch?) or early next year. As with all technology the primary concern is: do you want it right now? If so, than get it now and if not you can wait, but you'll be waiting a long time if you're looking for the perfect situation.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Or you could wait for the 64GB version...

    or the 128GB version...

    or the 256GB version...

    or ...
  • Reply 3 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post


    Or you could wait for the 64GB version...

    or the 128GB version...

    or the 256GB version...

    or ...



    That thinking is just dumb, as it's pretty much guaranteed a 16GB iPhone is coming within three months. Those sizes you mentioned are years away.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Nice personal attack.



    And at that point, the next revision is just as likely to be as imminent as the next revision is now.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    That thinking is just dumb, as it's pretty much guaranteed a 16GB iPhone is coming within three months. Those sizes you mentioned are years away.



    I think he was being facetious, however, the advice is well taken. There will always be something new coming along, but given the press event in London I'd wait until next week.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacFP View Post


    I think he was being facetious, however, the advice is well taken. There will always be something new coming along,



    What if there weren't.



    What if after, say, next sunday, there was nothing new ever again. No 16Gig iPhone, no ultraportable. All development simply stopped and everyone simply had to make use of what already exists. Cars. Phones. Computers. Songs about breaking up with your girl. Chocolate chip cookie recipes. No more "something new coming along." Just what has already been created.



    How do you know that won't happen?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post


    Or you could wait for the 64GB version...

    or the 128GB version...

    or the 256GB version...

    or ...



    I think I get your point. I also agree.



    I would look at your needs. I've a shuffle and not filled it up completely with songs. I created a playlist with my favorites and use that to fill my shuffle. I can still add another 100 songs. That said there are others that wish to have all their songs with them and have large libraries. YMMV. Consider how you will use your iPhone and that will help determine how much space you need.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Well, personally I am not too sure I want an iPhone... I guess I would be happy with the iPod Touch. I can't help thinking... what if the phone function goes kaputt? that means you have to send it off to Apple to get it fixed and for the time they have it, you won't have your music!!! arggggghhh... I won't be able to live my life without it!!!!
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post


    What if there weren't.



    What if after, say, next sunday, there was nothing new ever again. No 16Gig iPhone, no ultraportable. All development simply stopped and everyone simply had to make use of what already exists. Cars. Phones. Computers. Songs about breaking up with your girl. Chocolate chip cookie recipes. No more "something new coming along." Just what has already been created.



    How do you know that won't happen?



    Because I KNOW. Besides, as Steve said, "..because there is always something better and less expensive on the horizon." If he said that it must be true.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post


    With the new Ipod touch coming out with a 16 gig flash drive, does anybody think its best to wait for the 16 gig Iphone? The only difference I see is the phone, and I already have one. Is there solid evidence that a 16gig Iphone is coming out soon? I guess I'm more about music and video than A phone, but it would be nice to have a "do all" too.



    Is the phone, bluetooth and camera worth $200 to you? its one less thing to carry, charge, and whatnot.



    There's no solid evidence. Apple could do so as fast as it takes to go through FCC cert or wait a bit to let Samsung build more flash first before they switch.



    Dunno if they have to re-certify if all they are doing is using new Flash modules. Does anyone know?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post


    Is the phone, bluetooth and camera worth $200 to you? its one less thing to carry, charge, and whatnot.



    There's no solid evidence. Apple could do so as fast as it takes to go through FCC cert or wait a bit to let Samsung build more flash first before they switch.



    Dunno if they have to re-certify if all they are doing is using new Flash modules. Does anyone know?



    Thats a good point. I wonder if they have to go through the FCC. Then it would have to be made public, Would it not?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post


    Or you could wait for the 64GB version...

    or the 128GB version...

    or the 256GB version...

    or ...



    Actually I think 80GB is the maximum you can have for flash based storage now and that would cost a bomb. As if the iphone wasnt expensive enough to start with.....
  • Reply 13 of 13
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post


    Actually I think 80GB is the maximum you can have for flash based storage now and that would cost a bomb. As if the iphone wasnt expensive enough to start with.....



    Actually what?



    It is possible to wait for whatever capacity you want. There will always be a larger capacity device on the horizon.
Sign In or Register to comment.