Where did my iPhoto library go?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I recently upgraded to iLife 08 and have iPhoto 7.0.2, the most recent version and all recent updates. I went to sent an email with attachments using hotmail and couldn't find my iPhoto library. It used to be in the pics folder. The photobooth library is still there but the iPhoto library is not. There is an iPhoto alias but not folder with photos to browse. I can't find it anywhere. Any ideas?

I did come up with a work around. I copied the photo I wanted to send into my pictures folder and was able to browse it and choose it within hotmail.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I did come up with a work around. I copied the photo I wanted to send into my pictures folder and was able to browse it and choose it within hotmail.

Your workaround is exactly the way this needs to be done with iPhoto '08. iPhoto '08 has a single library file that contains hidden within itself the contents of your library. If you were to right click on the library file and select "Show contents" from the contextual menu that appears, you could momentarily access your iPhoto '08 library folder hierarchy like you could with iPhoto '06 and earlier.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

Your workaround is exactly the way this needs to be done with iPhoto '08. iPhoto '08 has a single library file that contains hidden within itself the contents of your library. If you were to right click on the library file and select "Show contents" from the contextual menu that appears, you could momentarily access your iPhoto '08 library folder hierarchy like you could with iPhoto '06 and earlier.

Huh, Why did they change this? It makes attaching photos to email more difficult using hotmail(and I would assume other web based mail apps).

It works but requires extra steps. It reminds me of windows. Sort of.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Huh, Why did they change this? It makes attaching photos to email more difficult using hotmail(and I would assume other web based mail apps).

It works but requires extra steps. It reminds me of windows. Sort of.

I believe the idea was to protect the average user from himself by keeping him from trouncing around in the folder hierarchy of the library. In addition, it pushes more dependence on Apple's Mail app, or .Mac web publishing which both have links right in iPhoto itself.

Makes sense fir *most* Mac users, I guess.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

I believe the idea was to protect the average user from himself by keeping him from trouncing around in the folder hierarchy of the library. In addition, it pushes more dependence on Apple's Mail app, or .Mac web publishing which both have links right in iPhoto itself.

Makes sense fir *most* Mac users, I guess.

Thanks for the reply. Did mean to vent on you.