iphone vs ipod touch....HELP...

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hey all,

I want to buy either the iphone or the touch. I don't need the phone features now...since I travel alot. I was going to wait until a pay as you go plan comes out. But then the ipod touch arrived. I was about to nab one...

because I like the wifi feature. Its like having a laptop in your pocket. To surf the web and check email etc.

BUT then... all this news about "hacks" and ways to "unlock" the iphone started appearing on the web.

It got me to thinking. If I could buy an iphone...and unlock it without having to buy into a phone plan...then I could use it like an ipod touch...and then some point in the future, I could activate the phone portion.

Cause if I buy an ipod touch, and then decide I want a phone...of course I'd have to spring for a new iphone.

I was wondering if anyone knew if this was possible, what the limitations are etc.

I don't mind just getting an ipod touch now...they are AWESOME....but just wanted to know if i could kill two birds with one stone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Yep, you could just unlock it, and not put a SIM card in it. Use it as an iPod and/or as an internet device (WIFI). Only the phone part would not work (calls, voice mail, edge). The biggest hassle would be having to worry about unlocking it every time a firmware upgrade breaks the unlock... but of course... updating is up to you.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Where do you get the software to update the iphone so that you can unlock it for wifi use without having to sign up for a phone contract?

If its too difficult, maybe i should just get the ipod touch 8 gig for now and just get an iphone later when I need it.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Don't know if this will matter to you or not, but after much debate (somewhere on this forum, I think), the consensus seems to be that you can't edit appointments in iCal on the iPod touch... only view them. This kind of destroys my whim of getting the Touch instead of the iPhone.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Read here... http://www.hacktheiphone.com/

Right now it's kind of complicated... but there is group who is making a GUI based version of the unlock software which should automate everything to the point of just clicking/touching "unlock".
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

Where do you get the software to update the iphone so that you can unlock it for wifi use without having to sign up for a phone contract?

If its too difficult, maybe i should just get the ipod touch 8 gig for now and just get an iphone later when I need it.

if i understand correctly, you ned to sign up for a contract to unlock it via software. thats what i did.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iridedasupabus View Post

if i understand correctly, you ned to sign up for a contract to unlock it via software. thats what i did.

Nope, thats not true.

That was before... you would either make a new contract and cancel OR put a fake SSN and take the pay as you go option but actually use your other sim card, not the one that came with the iPhone.