Interesting Idea For Mac Ultra Portible

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I had an interesting idea pop into my head tonight while thinking to next years macworld. I believe that apple will introduce an ultra-portable and 3g iphone at the same time. The two will link sort of like the palm folio did but in an apple esque way. The portable will be able to use the iphone to connect to the web anywhere there is a 3g signal or wifi. Just think of never having to worry about finding a hotspot and being apple to connect to the internet using a real PC. I think the two will have some crazy syncability options. Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    even now they do have the options , but it's a $ issue

In this case AT&T or whatsoever will loose a lot , because , they still need to charge you somehow... CONSTANTLY , and laptopts mean : greater security issues and no talking,sms etc just Skype dor instance .. and i do believe , they couldn't stop us using this IMs .

So .. i don't thinks so ..maybe ,, couple of years form now they will.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    It's an interesting idea, but not sure economics work.

How would the ultra-portable talk to the iPhone? USB cable? Surely not. It'll use Bluetooth at least. Yet nowadays Bluetooth and Wifi are both provided by the very same chip, so with one you get the other basically for free. It would be rather daft to put a Bluetooth chip into the ultra-portable - and not also include Wifi, as it doesn't cost much more and is certainly at no extra space premium.

And once the ultra-portable has Wifi, why would you need an iPhone so bad? Just to hop on the Internet via 3G? Well, there are many other 3G mobile phones out there which do Bluetooth as well. You might easily get one of those and not an iPhone. Don't really see the advantage.

Only if the ultra-portable has no Wifi nor Bluetooth would it make sense, but then how do you connect it to the iPhone?

--

On a different note:

If you look at how crazy compact the iPod touch is internally you start wondering how easy it would be for Apple to do an ultra-portable the same way.

It could easily be made 1/2 inch thick (thin), perhaps even 1/3" - same as the iPod touch.

Thermal issues are probably the only real issues left.

With a nice thin LED backlit screen (or an even nicer super-thin 11" OLED) plus 32GB of Flash memory...

<thud>

And then I woke up.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    More likely in Apple style the 3G tech will be built in.

If Acer/Dell can do it... Apple can do it in style.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,39...9282532,00.htm

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communicatio...9248703,00.htm

Why power two devices (plus power for the WiFi/BT connection).

----

I would like to see an iPhone/iPod that holds my OS X user account so whichever Mac I sit in front of I get my home folder, docs and settings.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

It's an interesting idea, but not sure economics work.

How would the ultra-portable talk to the iPhone? USB cable? Surely not. It'll use Bluetooth at least. Yet nowadays Bluetooth and Wifi are both provided by the very same chip, so with one you get the other basically for free. It would be rather daft to put a Bluetooth chip into the ultra-portable - and not also include Wifi, as it doesn't cost much more and is certainly at no extra space premium.

And once the ultra-portable has Wifi, why would you need an iPhone so bad? Just to hop on the Internet via 3G? Well, there are many other 3G mobile phones out there which do Bluetooth as well. You might easily get one of those and not an iPhone. Don't really see the advantage.

Only if the ultra-portable has no Wifi nor Bluetooth would it make sense, but then how do you connect it to the iPhone?

--

On a different note:

If you look at how crazy compact the iPod touch is internally you start wondering how easy it would be for Apple to do an ultra-portable the same way.

It could easily be made 1/2 inch thick (thin), perhaps even 1/3" - same as the iPod touch.

Thermal issues are probably the only real issues left.

With a nice thin LED backlit screen (or an even nicer super-thin 11" OLED) plus 32GB of Flash memory...

<thud>

And then I woke up.

Hypothetically:

1) You coiuld connect the iPhone plug directly into a dock in the laptop and it could use whatever bandwith Apple desired at that point.

2) I don't see how buletooth is going to do anything. I don't get the relationship your trying to make between it, wifi, and 3G Bluetooth isn't going to get you connected at a wifi hot spot, nor can it conect to the internet in any way, but 3G and wifi will.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    The point was if the ultra-portable has Bluetooth it will have Wifi too. So an iPhone would not be needed for Wifi connections.

At that point the only use for an iPhone would be to provide 3G connectivity via Bluetooth.

The original poster suggested a special feature set solely provided by the ultra-portable + iPhone combo. Yet if Bluetooth is the only common feature then I'd say that's not a 'special feature set' anymore as there are many mobile phones which could provide an ultra-portable with 3G connectivity via Bluetooth. I don't need an iPhone for that.

Which kind of shows that the original idea of a 'special feature set' in combination is not very realistic.

And I'm not sure an iPhone dock would happen either. Not enough room. Interesting idea though...