Going to switch to Mac soon, so I have a question...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Well, I'm going to an art school (for media arts and animation) that mainly uses Macs soon, so I figure that I need to get one and get aquainted, because I'm most likely going to be using them the rest of my life.

I was pretty much fascinated by the new iMac. It looks awesome - but I don't want to get one just yet. Here's why.

I want to wait until leopard comes out. So, my question is...

When leopard comes out, will it come WITH the new iMacs? Or will the new iMacs continue to be made with Tiger, and if so, how long until they start making them with leopard?

If this is the wrong place to put this, I apologize.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArtIsLife View Post

Well, I'm going to an art school (for media arts and animation) that mainly uses Macs soon, so I figure that I need to get one and get aquainted, because I'm most likely going to be using them the rest of my life.

I was pretty much fascinated by the new iMac. It looks awesome - but I don't want to get one just yet. Here's why.

I want to wait until leopard comes out. So, my question is...

When leopard comes out, will it come WITH the new iMacs? Or will the new iMacs continue to be made with Tiger, and if so, how long until they start making them with leopard?

If this is the wrong place to put this, I apologize.

The day that Leopard is released, all new macs will come with Leopard. Either they will ship from the factory with Leopard installed, or the retail stores will slip into the boxes of all the macs a Leopard installation DVD just for your computer. Apple has you covered. Keep in mind, however, that this second scenario requires that YOU install Leopard (which is no bid deal AT ALL, if you have never seen a software upgrade on a mac).
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Alright. Thank you very much.

Also, if I could be bothered to ask, how would I go about moving all of my files from the PC to the Mac when the time comes? Would I need to use an external drive?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Also, if I could be bothered to ask, how would I go about moving all of my files from the PC to the Mac when the time comes? Would I need to use an external drive?

External drive will be the most simple solution yes. I would advise you to get an external firewire drive with the iMac anyhow so you can use it as a backup drive with time machine.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

When Leopard comes out I'll be getting a new iMac, and this external drive. You should too . They are available on amazon. It has USB 2.0, firewire 400 & 800. You can use Firewire 800 with the new iMac, and they are completely bus-powered so you wont need to plug in into a wall. And you have the luxury of being able to use the USB connection to transfer your data from your P.C.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I'm gonna use this thread so not to open another one with similar problem.

I'm on my way to buy a Mac laptop, but here's my dilemma. Is it better to wait for Leopard or buy now the laptop with Tiger? I didn't find any info on upgrade possibilities regarding this matter.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ddd View Post

I'm on my way to buy a Mac laptop, but here's my dilemma. Is it better to wait for Leopard or buy now the laptop with Tiger? I didn't find any info on upgrade possibilities regarding this matter.

If you can wait a few weeks I would wait... Otherwise you are going to have to pay for the new OS when it comes out
  • Reply 7 of 9
    OK, this is what I was affraid of :-)

nobody really knows when the Leopard is coming out?!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I would guess it will be out before the end of Oct. But if you don't have a problem spending another 200.00 after it get's released then get it with Tiger now.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ddd View Post

the laptops are due for a hardware refresh so you might want to wait, especially if you are looking at buying a MacBook. If they move to the Santa Rosa platform then they will get much better graphics and maybe even a new casing similar to what the iMac and iPod classic got. If you are looking at getting a MacBook Pro, they might get the Penryn processor in their refresh which might mean Apple's first quad-core notebook. The latest you should have to wait is the first week in January after MWSF2008.

www.macrumors.com has a Buyer's Guide section set up to help people decide whether to buy now or later, but remember, nothing is set in stone so take the information with a grain of salt.