Random Shutdown?

becbec
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm running Mac OS X. I've been using it for a year and 2 months and have never encountered a problem until just now. It shut down with half a battery to go! Is this what happens when it overheats? I have a widget that indicates it's 62 C right now which I can only assume is too hot.

Any info on overheating and what it can do to my info would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: To my hand, it doesn't feel paricularly hot which is what's throwing me a bit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    62*C isn't anywhere near overheating. I don't really know what it could be... Battery is uncalibrated and actually holds less charge than your computer thinks? Corrupt files? I'm not sure.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bec View Post

I'm running Mac OS X. I've been using it for a year and 2 months and have never encountered a problem until just now. It shut down with half a battery to go! Is this what happens when it overheats? I have a widget that indicates it's 62 C right now which I can only assume is too hot.

Any info on overheating and what it can do to my info would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: To my hand, it doesn't feel paricularly hot which is what's throwing me a bit.

What kind of machine do you have?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    becbec Posts: 68member
    It's a Macbook \ Probably should have mentioned that. It's just odd as it's never done anything wrong and then...black screen.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Have you run disk disk utility? If not I'd run it and see what the results are.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I always wondered what that was for.

There's also an incorrect number of thread records, if that means anything. Thank you for getting me this far (a name to a problem helps!), is there a course of action that doesn't involve me taking this to another city for repair?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Boot onto your installation CD, run Disk Utility from there and click Repair Disk.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Dang, left that behind in my move (at my parents' place in another city).

Thanks very much. Is there a risk of losing my information when I do that?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Dang, left that behind in my move (at my parents' place in another city).

Thanks very much. Is there a risk of losing my information when I do that?

If you can't get to your parents house but can get to a computer store like Comp USA or Best Buy, Disk Warrior will do the same thing. It does cost $69. That's what I use.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Eeek. When I got that dreaded message: "the underlying task reported failure on exit", I tried everything and in the end was forced to reformat the harddrive and reinstall. Hope you have better luck.
  • Reply 10 of 13

Ah jeepers I so don't want to back my computer up, there's so little time in a day!

Not to mention I wouldn't know how to do that if presented with that option. o.O This is the only reason I miss Windows - I actually could do that sort of thing, haha.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Ah jeepers I so don't want to back my computer up, there's so little time in a day!

Not to mention I wouldn't know how to do that if presented with that option. o.O This is the only reason I miss Windows - I actually could do that sort of thing, haha.

Get an external USB or firewire drive and use Superduper. The free version does everything you need and it's easy as kissing. Really, do that ASAP before you lose files!
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Being a starving student I don't have the financial means with which to buy an external drive right now but as I type I'm backing up as much as I can with DVD's. A pain in the butt but better than nothing.

When I boot with the installation CD (which is being couriered over) and repair the disc does that mean it's overwriting everything and restoring it to the default settings? In other words, will I lose what I've put on this computer?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Running Disk Utility from the first installation disk did the trick, whew! Thank you to all who piped up.