So that's it, huh?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The iMac is actually much better than I had hoped in terms of its specs (G4 and Superdrive!) and although the styling is not what I had expected, I am sure it will grow on me. iPhoto also looks very nice. 14" ibook is not particularly interesting to me (how about a subnotebook steve?)

However, I must say I am surprised that there was nothing else shown -- no upgrade G4 Towers, no G5s, no digital hub device. I'm sure that the Towers will be upgraded very soon, since the imac is just about as powerful now, and much cheaper. I'm actually not that disappointed, though because my expectations weren't that high.

Other reactions? I've said it before, but if some people had been a little more realistic with their predictions, and hadn't taken everything that Apple put on their site so literally ("it's outer-space guys!" "no -- it's got to be OS X on intel") maybe you wouldn't feel disappointed now. I'm actually pretty psyched by the new imac, especially since it means that other products are likely to be significantly upgraded soon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    The iMac, iBook, and iPhoto are all good but how can they not update the pro line? Like you said, the iMacs are almost as powerful. It's ridiculous.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    Well, the rumor sites as well as everyone/retailer who was told so, well some, may have been right this time. No Powermac announcements till at least February....
  • Reply 3 of 5
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    It's clever startegy from Apple - no new PowerMacs should skyrocket iMac sales solely with "it's as fast as the powermac, but cheaper and cuter" - and a good sales start is what Apple needs. It's the "we have cheap and powerful computers for Joe" thingamajig.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    HA! HA! HA! HA! Ha! ha!

-Satellite broadband...

-Quad G5 @ 1.6GHz each

-iWalkAMileForACamel

-Removal LCD tablet

-Sexbots

I got what I was hoping for: an iBook update.

Ha! Ha! Ha! (end maniacal laughter).

(Well, okay, the sexbots would have been cool, too.)

[edit: laughing too hard while typing... ha ha ha ha ha ha ha]

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: GardenOfEarthlyDelights ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 5
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    [quote]Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights:

<strong>HA! HA! HA! HA! Ha! ha!

-Sexbots

(Well, okay, the sexbots would have been cool, too.)</strong><hr></blockquote>

I actually hoped for it too. I mean, hey, sex always sells good and Apple branded realdolls would sure make some market share ground good.