slowdown related to motherboard replacement?

gedged
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hi all,

i have a pbg4 (1.67 ghz, 1.5 gb ram) bought about 2 years ago (still under extended warranty). ever since i got the machine i've had issues (usb recognition problems without restart, no keyboard backlight etc.) that i never found the time to fix. but a couple of weeks ago, the damned thing blew completely, so i had to take it in to the shop. they wound up replacing the motherboard, but now the machine feels noticeably slower (i never once saw the beach ball before, but now see it several times a day) and battery life is even more pathetic than before (it used to be 2.5 hours just before the change and is now about 1.5 hours).

is it possible that a replaced motherboard could slow down the machine (it's apparently still a 1.67 ghz chip!)? and is it possible that this could be linked to the dramatic decrease in battery life?

thanks a ton,

ged

p.s. i've posted this on other forums (fora?) as well, but nobody seems to know...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I would try cleaning out all your system caches - you can use cocktail:

http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/index.php

reboot after they are emptied - it will rebuild them so reboot takes longer.

Also, you're pretty lucky not to have seen the beachball. I see it quite often, maybe you're just noticing it more now.

Battery life shouldn't really have changed.