Rewind of 2007

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
regardless of disappointment/whining/OKs to Apple products in year 2007, let us rewind what 2007 bring us from apple

1. iPhone

2. redesigned iMac

3. redesigned iPods

4. new iPod touch

5. iLife 08

6. iWork 08 with numbers

7. upgraded MB/MBPs

8. Leopard Soon

9. please add Pro products/software

(IMHO i assume there is only one left for this year aka Leopard - sep 20th)

it is incredible though not everyone will be satisfied ...

your thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    It has been a great year IMHO.

I just hope prior to the end of the year new displays and Mac Pro update. That would finish the year on a high note.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

It has been a great year IMHO.

I just hope prior to the end of the year new displays and Mac Pro update. That would finish the year on a high note.

Logic Studio to add one more. Great year for Apple.

If the iPhone was the only thing to come out this year, it would be a great year.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Apple TV released, updated with a larger HD and YouTube streaming added (though I personally don't get that).

Closed captioning support added to iTunes videos's, and hints at other features and services to come.

8 core Mac Pro's released.

Draft n AirPort Extream base station with support for networking USB drives.

Apple has been busy this year, and it looks like they have more to come as well.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Also Final Cut Studio, Safari on Windows. iTunes Plus.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Agreed. iPhone, alone, is an industry milestone, just as the original Mac OS and the iPod were.

And I think 2008 will be a great year as well:

Advances in Mac hardware/software:

-- Multi-touch OS X. eg: Imagine multi-touch input driving a Finder like BumpTop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ODskdEPnQ

-- The fabled subnotebook with multi-touch. Dare I use the term, tablet?

What the iPhone could become:

-- Real GPS linked to Google maps (there's currently a clever cell-tower hack).

-- Secure wireless data xfer to peer devices (eg: vcards, photo sharing, etc...).

-- iWork Lite on iPhone (it'll happen eventually).

-- Better sync interface (iPhone docs to/from main Mac).

-- Sketch pad -- still very useful to sketch diagrams, specs, designs, etc... and then mail them.

-- Speech-to-text -- dictation

-- Text-to-speech -- having it read your SMS/emails to you while you drive.

There's no reason why the iPhone can't become a portable keyboard-less Mac with a built in GPS-navigation system.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    1. iPhone -> cool but not really a Mac

2. redesigned iMac -> lame redesign though, it's not really faster and only glossy screens

3. redesigned iPods -> again nothing for Mac users and expected

4. new iPod touch -> expected due to the iphone

5. iLife 08 -> imovie '08 not going down too well with people

6. iWork 08 with numbers -> this is good so I'll give you one point

7. upgraded MB/MBPs -> two points for the MBP because it was a really nice update; the Macbook update wasn't that impressive

8. Leopard Soon -> still late though, it should have been ready by June. Plus the interface is a bit messed up.

I wouldn't say all that impressive overall. For the Mac lineup, I reckon it'll be next year before anything decent comes along though not if they keep the same desktop product form factors. Quad core Penryn sounds good though.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

2. redesigned iMac -> lame redesign though, it's not really faster and only glossy screens

7. upgraded MB/MBPs -> two points for the MBP because it was a really nice update; the Macbook update wasn't that impressive

8. Leopard Soon -> still late though, it should have been ready by June. Plus the interface is a bit messed up.

I wouldn't say all that impressive overall. For the Mac lineup, I reckon it'll be next year before anything decent comes along though not if they keep the same desktop product form factors. Quad core Penryn sounds good though.

i hope so, 2008 is year of Macs!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I would much prefer Leopard be late and stable than on time and unstable.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    It has been a great year so far, I hope there will be even more next month. 2008 will even be more interesting as we will see how Apple differentiates their products (iPod touch, iPhone, "Newton").