What do we macusers use instead of kazaa?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have got a question from my boss why he can´t have Kazaa Media Desktop on his mac

at home?

Is there any suggestions on what I should tell him to use instead.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Why don't they make Kazaa for the Mac OS?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    We don't steal software and media.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Yes, we don't steal. Stealing is BAD.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    That said, this belongs in the Software forum. Moving now.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    cubecube Posts: 142member
    Try Acquisition

Works fine to me
  • Reply 6 of 12
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    <a href="http://www.limewire.com"; target="_blank">limewire</a> - does the same thing as kazza, works for mac.

[ 03-05-2003: Message edited by: Dogcow ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 12
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    There's a Kazaa shadow client called Neo, but it sucks. I recommend DirectConnect or Acquisition.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Does Acquisition see Kazaa networks? It doesn't look like it does.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    No, Acquisition uses the gnutella network (alongside LimeWire, BearShare, etc.).

KaZaA is a closed network. The client software has to authenticate with a master server to connect. That's why there are no true third party clients for KaZaA.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    gsfmarkgsfmark Posts: 210member
    i like limewire better (never had the chance to use direct connect or acquisition, my dorms have extensive firewalling, so i've been off file sharing networks for quite some time) than neo because with Neo, i guess it is like Kazaa, so it only has 128 mp3s. If i had a pc, i would never use kazaa either!

it's all about being able to pick higher quality stuff... y'know?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    i've used limewire, i've found the interface to be really clumsy ( but better than any other i've tried)

if you get limewire pro does anything improve?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Short answer for KaZaA: Their business model depends on third parties being able to install adware and spyware on clients' machines, and that crap is all written in VB. They couldn't port KaZaA over unless all that other crap came over too.

I need hardly say that I'm in no hurry to see KaZaA on the Mac. The last thing we need is that kind of crap compromizing and destabilizing our machines.