i-book screen flickering and going white randomly

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
If anybody would have a suggestion for my problem, it would make my year!

I have a mac i-Book G3, one of the early series with dual USB (2001). I run OS X.3.9 on it. (I know, it's "old", but I love it to pieces)

It has 15 GB memory, and when I bought it, I increased the ram from 512 to 1024Mb, the max this computer can take.

A short while ago, the screen started running flickering white stripes from top to bottom or even go all white at random times (it seems to happen more often with internet use, maybe mouse [touch-pad] movements). At first, I cleared some memory and it helped, but by now I have the problem frequently even though I did not use any more of the memory.

Can anybody suggest a fix, or at least has anybody ever heard of such a thing and can direct me to the right people/ web page? (P.S.: Unfortunately, the "buy a new computer" suggestion is not an option right now.)

Thanks! LearningAppleFan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I'm afraid these are symptoms of the old logic board failure:

http://www.apple.com/au/support/ibook/faq/

I don't know if Apple would still repair it for free. If not then a new computer is the only realistic option.

What I did when my ibook logic board failed was migrate to a G4 Mini and that way you keep the cost down. If you need a laptop, I've just seen G3 ibooks on ebay for $250 so it's certainly not worth getting your one repaired unless the repair costs less than that.

My favorite laptop is still the 12" powerbook but the cheapest I saw on ebay was $550.

Whatever you do, backup your data to an external hard drive and prepare for a day when the screen goes completely black. This doesn't mean you can use an external display btw.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Thanks, Marvin for the fast reply. I don't like what I read, but I guess it's best to face facts. I did my back-ups and will see whether Apple fixes my beloved computer, else I might follow your suggestion and go for the G4 mini.