2GB RAM needed?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have heard that it is almost necessary to have 2GB of RAM in order to run the new OS being released in October. Is this correct or have I been misled?

If it is true, it kind of pisses me off that the new iMac only comes with 1GB RAM.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Nope.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:

The pre-release documentation states the following system requirements:

* Intel processor or a PowerPC G4 (867 MHz or faster) or G5 processor

* DVD drive

* Built-in FireWire

* At least 512 MB of RAM (additional RAM is recommended for development purposes)

* A built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card

* At least 7 GB of disk space available, or 12 GB of disk space for the developer tools

• Reply 2 of 9
    Allright thanks for that. I guess I heard wrong. Makes me happier to hear that
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Now, why in the world would it require built in Firewire????
  • Reply 4 of 9
    It will not be necessary to have 2GB of RAM to run the new OS. It will be helpful to run multiple applications.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Now, why in the world would it require built in Firewire????

Firewire is most likely not required for Leopard to run, and chances are high you can hack it to run on a machine without firewire.

This is just a way Apple has found to exclude old machines from their supported machines list, it has nothing to do with firewire itself.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by future-ex-pc-user View Post

Firewire is most likely not required for Leopard to run, and chances are high you can hack it to run on a machine without firewire. ...

All G4 Macs and PowerBooks have FireWire ports. FireWire ports go all the way back to the B&W PowerMac G3 of 1999. There is no need to theorize about nefarious motives for Apple's decision to drop support for older computers.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    The required firewire could be to enforce external firewire HDD for TimeMachine!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheKid2020 View Post

The required firewire could be to enforce external firewire HDD for TimeMachine!

I like the previous explanation.... just an easy way for Apple to tell people if their equipment is to old to handle Leopard. Anything capable of running it WILL have a FW port.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    . . . . . . . . . .