Will the iphone ever intigrate a universal remote?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I was just thinking that after a GPS compatibility(which was rumoured to come soon), the only thing missing to make the iphone a complete allrounder would be a universal remote control which could be hooked up to any devise which can be controlled by a remote.. eg: tv, stereo and even the new macs.... so that you would never need to let go of the iphone

anyone know if that is being planned or has ever been thought about?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    There would have to be some kind of Wi-Fi to RF converter for it to work. In other words, there would be a receiver to convert the iPhone's Wi-Fi signals to RF that your components could understand.

[Edit] Sorry, I meant infrared, although some remotes do support RF.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

There would have to be some kind of Wi-Fi to RF converter for it to work. In other words, there would be a receiver to convert the iPhone's Wi-Fi signals to RF that your components could understand.

Wi-Fi is RF. Remotes haven't used RF since maybe the 1950s. They now use infrared.

Incorporating a remote control with an iPhone would be akin to adding wheelbarrow functionality to a Corvette. A single remote from an electronics manufacturer may control several models of a particular entertainment component over several different generations. Having tens of thousands of people each running around with devices that can change the channels on my HDTV or cable box is going to get me and a lot of other people mightily upset.

To solve this problem, remotes will have to be paired with their client devices and their signals encrypted. Currently no TV, stereo, cable box, DVD player, or anything else works this way. This will fundamentally change how all remotes are designed and used.

I don't see it happening.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Wi-Fi is RF. Remotes haven't used RF since maybe the 1950s. They now use infrared.

You are wrong the best remotes you can buy have both with RF being the key because many people want to put the equipment out of sight doing this will not let RF work. Also lighting controls also work on RF.

My guess is they could develop a WiFi product that would transfer the information to infrared outputs. This would be great for any PC/iPhone for media center controls
  • Reply 4 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gizmo-xl View Post

You are wrong the best remotes you can buy have both with RF being the key because many people want to put the equipment out of sight doing this will not let RF work. Also lighting controls also work on RF.

My guess is they could develop a WiFi product that would transfer the information to infrared outputs. This would be great for any PC/iPhone for media center controls

I gather that English is not your native language. At any rate, what you seem to be talking about is the exact opposite of a universal remote. The remote keylocks of my automobile fall into this category. For applications like these, RF is necessary. My concern is for consumer electronic components where my next-door neighbor can change my TV channels or the volume on my stereo.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Mr. Me you may want to look at the following link

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/re...s/378&cl=us,en

Also is your neighbor on your house WiFi network? If they are they must be good neighbors!

If they developed a device like the link above linked device that connects to your WiFi network that has infrared output repeaters. With the right software you could control any device that used IR.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I think Apple should concentrate on making the iphone do what most other phones can do first before trying to incorporate such things.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

I think Apple should concentrate on making the iphone do what most other phones can do first before trying to incorporate such things.

I completely agree with that. But the point is -- it could be done if they wanted to.... Maybe AppleTV