reinstall os?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
On this and other forums I read the advise to do a clean reinstall of the OS to solve many different problems. This seems rather a drastic step to take, but it seems to be suggested fairly often. So, as a windows user who is leaving the dark side and coming over to Apple as soon as Leopard is out, my question is: is it really that easy to reinstall the OS? I've never done that in windows, ever. What happens to the data, settings etc on the HD when you reinstall the OS?

A second question: is the Mac experience about doing reinstalls, fiddling around 'under the hood' repairing permissions, and adjusting things on the terminal level as it seems from reading the forums, or is it about using a well designed, smoothly working interface to do what one wants to do?

Not trying to ruffle any feathers here, but I'm a little scared that my time may be spent asking more knowlegeable folks for their kind help, instead of surfing etc. Or is it only the very few machines that need this kind of in-depth work? Are most of you happily USING your Macs, not 'fixing' them?

Thanks for any responses!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrblu View Post

my question is: is it really that easy to reinstall the OS?

Yes, it is very easy to install Mac OS! Much easier than Windows. But the chances are, once it is installed, you will never have to reinstall it! Don't give it another thought, get your Mac and very soon you wouldn't even want to look at Windows.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    I've switched a little under two years ago and have two Macs now (iMac and macbook) and never had to reinstall osX. "It just works" really is mostly true about the Mac.