iTunes sucks. (Resolved)

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Sorry, i just needed a good header, but the search function is awful.

My friend is in a band which I have three songs on my computer. They were properly labeled, but now I cannot search for them by band name or song title. Winamp worked so much better. Is there anything like that for macs?

Thanks,

Dan

[ 03-07-2003: Message edited by: BuzzardsBay ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I have never had a problem with the search field. I'm not sure what the issue is here. Perhaps the songs aren't named as you think they are, but I don't really know the situation without seeing your playlists/library, and what song you are searching for.

Also, I don't think you are going to find many people here who will declare that 'iTunes sucks'. In fact, most people who have to use Windows boxes at work are desperate for it on the PC.
  • Reply 1 of 20
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    iTunes search works perfectly for me.

Apparently the problem lies beyond the keyboard.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    I've never had a problem with winamp, but with iTunes a lot of songs I search for I cannot find. I don't know if they have been renamed during transfer or what, but without search its hard to find Cardoza Band out of 4600 songs.

Also, I tried to network my Dell and Powerbooks without any success. Does anyone have good step by step instructions that could help. I'm good with PC's, but I still quasi lost with my apple and I want to re-transfer all my songs.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by BuzzardsBay:

<strong>I've never had a problem with winamp, but with iTunes a lot of songs I search for I cannot find. I don't know if they have been renamed during transfer or what, but without search its hard to find Cardoza Band out of 4600 songs.

Also, I tried to network my Dell and Powerbooks without any success. Does anyone have good step by step instructions that could help. I'm good with PC's, but I still quasi lost with my apple and I want to re-transfer all my songs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe you properly named the file, but you didn't properly ID tag it. Sometimes a files name, ie. serrano- the 1337 song.mp3 won't correspond to the ID tag. I used to use macamp for this reason, I named all my files but was too lazy to IDv3 tag them. Try scrolling around your iTunes library, sometimes a song will be added as its filename and be at the very bottom of your library list. Either way the search should be a no brainer, it limits your library by the search criteria on the fly. The only thing I can think of is that your ID tag has nothing to do with your files actual name.

[ 03-06-2003: Message edited by: serrano ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Thanks serrano that helped, the three songs I was looking for are Tracks 1, 2 and 3 at the bottom of the list.

Sorry for the inconvience and misconcieved topic header guys. You have a good forum here.

Cheers,

Dan
  • Reply 6 of 20
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Ooops. serrano got in there before me...well, anyways...

BuzzardsBay, I haven't had a problem with iTunes search either. But iTunes does have minor bugs. Especially in how you want to burn CD's...

Going out on a limb, are they on your computer? If there are !'s next to the song title in the play listing of your band in iTunes, they could have been moved and iTunes can't find the file. It's happened to me. I'll search for tunes and they'll have that because I moved or deleted the file.

But the search feature has worked 100%. It's one of iTunes best features.

I have a question. When you import files into iTunes, how are you able to select where they go and titling them? I always seem to get Track01.mp3 in Unknown Album in Unknown Artist...

I'm stumped. But don't feel too bad. I sometimes think that I'm the only one on Earth that thinks that Safari sucks.

[ 03-06-2003: Message edited by: Artman @_@ ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 20
    I forgot to ask, can iTunes play .shn files??
  • Reply 8 of 20

<strong>I forgot to ask, can iTunes play .shn files??</strong><hr></blockquote>

No. But there is a freeware called Carbon Shorten that can convert them into mp3s. Here's their description and URL.

Shorten for Macintosh

Shorten is a utility developed by Tony Robinson and SoftSound Limited <a href="http://www.softsound.com"; target="_blank">www.softsound.com</a> to convert audio files to and from a compressed format. Compression of about 50% is typical. MP3 compression is usually much greater, but unlike MP3 files, shortened files result in no loss of fidelity.

Shorten for Macintosh has a graphical user interface and also contains the md5sum checksum utility which can be used to verify file integrity. Shorten for Linux and Be OS is just the vanilla shorten utility from SoftSound compiled for those operating systems.

...I got it to convert .shn files to mp3s. Works fine.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    I wish I didnt have to lose all the quality. Thanks for the link though.

Cheers,

Dan
  • Reply 10 of 20
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Buzzards, welcome to Macintosh.

For getting your PC and your powerbook networked, all you need to do is turn on Windows file sharing in the Sharing preference pane (In the system preferences, it's the Sharing pane). Once you click on it, the url for connecting will be in the bottom of the window. Like in this screenshot:

The red box is what you type in the "map network drive" field (I think). If that doesn't work, let us know.... it's not hard to do.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Never heard of shorten. I've heard of ATRAC (minidisk) which seems to operate on the same principle... Where do you get shorten files?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    The shorten files are mostly songs that I download from <a href="http://www.furthurnet.net"; target="_blank">furthur</a> .
  • Reply 13 of 20
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Hey BB, here's another tip with labeling tracks.

You can select multiple tracks and then do a Get Info (cmd-I). iTunes will toss up a dialogue box that says "Are you sure you want to edit multiple items?". After clicking YES you can add the generic things like GENRE, ARTIST, ALBUM...stuff like that.

Great time-saver.

Now you MIGHT want to go back to your first post and click EDIT and change the title of this thread...it's a little inflammatory~

Keep poking away at iTunes, it's better than winAMP the more you use it.
  • Reply 14 of 20

<strong>The shorten files are mostly songs that I download from <a href="http://www.furthurnet.net"; target="_blank">furthur</a> .</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ah, another fan of Further. I got alot of great new, rare and classic (Jimi, Janis & Jefferson Airplane) concerts there. Highly recommend this site and software (OS X!). Seems that most files are .shn now. Some great stuff.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    shorten files are awesome...though itunes doesnt' support them (yet hopefully)

then again id otn think winamp 3 can support them either, just the older winamp 2

itunes search works, i'd say its a user error
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Winamp does support .shn all you need is a plug-in from <a href="http://www.e-tree.org"; target="_blank">etree</a>
  • Reply 17 of 20
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    BuzzardsBay,

Just so you know the 'Shorten' program doesn't convert from SHN to MP3, it goes from SHN to WAV (or perhaps AIFF, essentially the same thing.) There is absolutely no loss in the decompression. I also use it with Further and end up with Gigs of raw audio that CAN be converted to MP3, but don't have to be.

Cheers!
  • Reply 18 of 20

<strong>Winamp does support .shn all you need is a plug-in from <a href="http://www.e-tree.org"; target="_blank">etree</a></strong><hr></blockquote>

when i tried this with winamp 3 it didn't work for me...though i could get ti to work with winamp 2...if u are using winamp3 and it works coudl you please tell me how you are doign this?
  • Reply 19 of 20
    I dont know if I'm using winamp 2 or 3. (haven't used my dell in a few weeks) Next time I turn it on I'll let you know, although I'm sure its 2, I never really liked the newer one my roommate downloaded.

Cheers,

Dan
  • Reply 20 of 20

<strong>I dont know if I'm using winamp 2 or 3. (haven't used my dell in a few weeks) Next time I turn it on I'll let you know, although I'm sure its 2, I never really liked the newer one my roommate downloaded.

Cheers,

Dan</strong><hr></blockquote>

ok thanks...i'm pretty sure its winamp 2, cuz in 3 they dont have a plug-in manager thing