ipod touch drive

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I recently received my ipod touch and for some reason it does not mount on my desktop like my other ipods in order for me to simply dump files onto it to transfer from one location to another.

I looked online for an answer and founf some people saying that the ipod touch will not suport the drive feature and is simply a 16GB mp3 player and not much more then that, then otehr people are saying it is still possible.

Is there an easy way to enable the ipod so that I can have it act in the same way my other ipods do so that people can simply plug it in and use it to transfer data.

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    At least on iPods there is an option on iTunes which will enable disk mode... so that you can use it as a USB drive. Just check if thats available for the touch.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennyWRX View Post

At least on iPods there is an option on iTunes which will enable disk mode... so that you can use it as a USB drive. Just check if thats available for the touch.

Yes I checked with itunes and the option is not there.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dage007 View Post

I recently received my ipod touch and for some reason it does not mount on my desktop like my other ipods in order for me to simply dump files onto it to transfer from one location to another.

I looked online for an answer and founf some people saying that the ipod touch will not suport the drive feature and is simply a 16GB mp3 player and not much more then that, then otehr people are saying it is still possible.

Is there an easy way to enable the ipod so that I can have it act in the same way my other ipods do so that people can simply plug it in and use it to transfer data.

thanks

The iTouch at this point doesn't have a disk mode. I'm sure something will come about that will let you do it, but you can't at this point. I would guess they don't allow you to do this because it's not a lot of storage to begin with.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

The iTouch at this point doesn't have a disk mode. I'm sure something will come about that will let you do it, but you can't at this point. I would guess they don't allow you to do this because it's not a lot of storage to begin with.

I agree with you on the point that eventually they will come out with a solution but the point about the amount of storage I think has nothing to do with it. With the 2 and 4GB nanos I know that I could use those to transfer files etc.. Sure is handy when you want to quickly transfer files from one system to another and they may not be on hte same network or other situations.