question: can OS X take screenshots?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
the title is self explanatory. I'm doing a presentation for my speech class and I was wondering if Mac OS X enables screenshots or not. thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    yes.

key combo command-shift-3

Select Mac Help from the help menu and enter "screenshot" in the search field. It'll give you several more options for screen grabs.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    in your applications / utilities folder you can open the utility Grab.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    command-shift-3 immediately takes a full screenshot of the screen (all your screens, if you have several)

command-shift-4 and you get to manually define a rectangle on the screen to capture.

After you are in the manual capture mode but before you have started dragging, you can press space. That takes you to a mode where you point and click any window to capture the contents of that window. Space again takes you back to manual capture mode, esc cancels the capture.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Nope. That advanced capability is beyond OS X. Did you even learn OS X? Grab has been around since 1989 with NeXTSTEP let alone all the way to 10.4.10/Leopard.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The new keyboards should have used F5 and F6 for these purposes. F5 = full screen-shot. F6 = partial, drag & grab screen-shot.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The new keyboards should have used F5 and F6 for these purposes. F5 = full screen-shot. F6 = partial, drag & grab screen-shot.

Why?

Command-shift-3 has been the screen shot key combo on Macs for 23 years.