Logitech VX Revolution Laser Notebook Mouse

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
FWIW:

Logitech VX Revolution Cordless Laser Notebook Mouse $24.99 after $20.00 rebate.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...CODE=WEM1466AQ

Logitech site:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mi...s/165&cl=us,en

My Apple mouse died (I suspect Duddits had something to do with that) about a year ago, and I replaced it with a Logitech MX 700 optical, rechargeable mouse.

Unfortunately, I'm having arthritis problems in my right hand. The only time it bothers me is when I use the MX 700.

A few days ago, I bought Logitech VX Revolution Cordless Laser Notebook Mouse. I hold it with my thumb and small finger, and, twisting it, I can cover the entire 22" ACD. This negates the arthritis problem and also is easier on my wrist. Actually, I learned to do this with the MX 700, but being larger than the Apple mouse and the VX laser, it wasn't as easy.

I find the VX laser the easiest mouse I've ever used. The Logitech site lists this PN 931690-0403 for $79.99.

TigerDirect lists it for $44.99. HOWEVER, the TigerDirect sale price of $24.99 is only good through September 30 - ttomorrow.

If anyone's interested, I'll post an update as to the functionality of the VX Laser.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    except according to the logitech site, it doesn't work with macs...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

It most certainly does work with a mac. I use mine at work with my MBPro. Their software is a little buggy so I bought and use Steermouse. AWESOME COMBO with the VX Revolution!
  • Reply 3 of 9
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

I'm using it right now. I must admit that I've had a few glitches, but all in all, it works well.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mi...s/165&cl=us,en

System Requirements

PC

o Windows® XP

o Windows Vista™ (requires Internet connection)

o Available USB port

o CD-ROM drive

Mac

o Mac® OSX 10.3.9 - 10.4.7*

o Available USB port

o CD-ROM drive

o Internet connection

* Logitech Control Center 2.1 or later is required to enable advanced mouse features such as scroll wheel fine-tuning and One-Touch Search. LCC is compatible with both PowerPC- and Intel-based Macs running OS X.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I stand corrected. I didn't see the Finder/Mac Icon in the 'compatibility' section and didn't look any further.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

I stand corrected. I didn't see the Finder/Mac Icon in the 'compatibility' section and didn't look any further.

No sweat, Bob. We all make mistakes. At your age, you have a lot more coming. I hope that with your savvy and education, you won't make as many as us older guys. How's school coming along?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

No sweat, Bob. We all make mistakes. At your age, you have a lot more coming. I hope that with your savvy and education, you won't make as many as us older guys. How's school coming along?

Uh oh, not this again...

It is going well. At six weeks, I have 6/6 A's.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    For people whose hand the MX700 does fit and who insist on wireless, a G7 mouse would be preferable. The Revolution mice don't quite measure up to today's desktop mouse accuracy standards, especially compared to other expensive mice.

That said, the price you found is great, and for taking on the road along with your laptop the VX looks near unbeatable.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Looking at Logitech's site, I don't see that the Mac is supported. If it is, I'd agree that the G7 would be better and it's rechargeable. However, the cost is $ 99.99. I probably wouldn't have bought the VX Revolution if it hadn't been on sale.

I have been experimenting with the MX700 and the VX-R. I can see now why the VX-R is better for me.

The Apple mouse was very comfortable because it was almost flat. Resting my arm on the desk, the Apple mouse didn't require me to bend my wrist upwards. Keeping my arm off the desk, my wrist still wasn't bent and my hand was palm down on the Apple mouse.

When I used the MX700, it was like holding a potato and my wrist was bent whether I was resting my arm on the desk or keeping my arm off the desk. The hand and wrist movement required to move the cursor was also uncomfortable.

The VX-Revolution (laptop size), being thinner, doesn't require me to bend my wrist as much and I can control it, as I mentioned before, with my thumb and small finger. Less wear and tear on my wrist and fingers. If I find that even the VX-R causes problems later, I'll go back to the Apple mouse. Flatness is the answer to my arthritis and wrist pain (carpal tunnel syndrome???) Much as I resisted using the Apple mouse in the first place (I didn't use it for the first two years I had a Mac), I must admit that Apple was right. It's the right design, at least, for me. It just isn't as versatile as third party mice. Decisions. Decisions.

My younger daughter had a wrist problem with mice. Her doctor suggested a mouse that looks like an aircraft joystick. It's not quite like a gaming joystick. Anyway, her wrist problem diminished because her wrist wasn't rotated to a horizontal position. It's vertical.

-----------------------

G7 System Requirements:

PC

o Windows® 98, Windows® 2000, Windows® Me, Windows® XP, Windows Vista?

o USB port

o CD-ROM drive

Technical Specifications

o Tracking resolution: 2000/800/400 dpi (user-selectable)

o Image processing: 6.4 megapixels/second

o Maximum acceleration: 20-g

o Maximum speed: 45?65 inches/second (depending on surface)

o USB data format: 16 bits/axis

o USB report rate: 500 reports/second

o Sleep mode: Intelligent

ackage Contents

o Logitech® G7 Laser Cordless Mouse

o 2 Li-ion battery packs

o Charging station

o USB dongle

o CD with Logitech® SetPoint? software

o Installation guide

o 3-year warranty
  • Reply 9 of 9
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Many Razer mice come in flat shapes. Pro|Click, Copperhead, many models - very good mice. I have been pretty much a Logitech guy till lately but I'll be buying from Razer in the future. Might be a good fit for you if flat mice seem to be the thing for your hands. Pro|Click has official drivers but as always the other ones work great without drivers or with 3rd party drivers. The Copperhead even has internal memory, so if you use the provided Windows drivers to tweak settings, they are saved on the mouse itself so you'll have those settings on your Mac without installing software. I found factory settings sufficient not to bother tweaking anymore.

Occasionally using trackball instead of mouse would be yet another option to avoid repetitive stress injury.