Boycot iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I am ticked that in one fail swoop my productive tool turned into a expensive toy,

That 100% of its design now is to make money for Apple, AT&T, Record companies.

Come on people the biggest change is the addition is a whittled down version of Itunes.

Just so you can spend more money on Apple and if you are in a starbucks I am sure that if you buy a track using their new system they will get a kickback.

IF that is not greed then what is it,

The other change is portrait mode when viewing attachments in Mail. Woo frigging hoo

yes there are others but they a minor to me.

The SLA states that if I don't agree with the above terms I can return the iphone for a full refund and I plan to do just that. I still have my nextel and 30g iPod so I am not losing anything.

Sure I can't do email with my nextel but that is not really important that I get email on my phone.

I have a wireless card with sprint that my job pays for.

Send a message to apple and return your iPhones.

I can't wait to see the reaction of the sales person at the apple store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Power to ya. You don't like it, hope you return it and are happy. Me, I'm getting quite a few of them for friends this Xmas. Makes a great gift.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Why because there was never an apple sdk and they never said they would support 3d party apps, in fact apple even announced this before the update. What did you think was going to happen, apple would beta test their update on 100s of apps they never wanted to support.

Its your own damn fault for buying one when there is clearly enough information online to tell you about the drawbacks.

Lets all blame apple for your ignorance.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    "I can't wait to see the reaction of the sales person at the apple store."

Enjoy that, because there isn't much fun in any of this--I'm very disheartened by the way Apple has handled all of this.

Post here and recount how it goes--I'll be surprised if they give you a refund, but who can say?
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

Power to ya. You don't like it, hope you return it and are happy. Me, I'm getting quite a few of them for friends this Xmas. Makes a great gift.

Who pays for the service when you give it as a gift?
  • Reply 5 of 34
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

very true, unless is your dad or mother I see no point in somebody buying an iPhone as a gift to someone else. Sure some people will, but the majority of iPhone purchases are for oneself if you ask me.

I want one, who wants to buy me one and pay my 2 year contract monthly bill.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

I give two years service with it for convenience (billed to me). After that, they're on their own. It's not like they can't afford it themselves, but it's the thought that counts.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Quote:

I give two years service with it for convenience (billed to me). After that, they're on their own. It's not like they can't afford it themselves, but it's the thought that counts.

Will you be my friend?
  • Reply 8 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

Why because there was never an apple sdk and they never said they would support 3d party apps, in fact apple even announced this before the update. What did you think was going to happen, apple would beta test their update on 100s of apps they never wanted to support.

Its your own damn fault for buying one when there is clearly enough information online to tell you about the drawbacks.

Lets all blame apple for your ignorance.

Sounds like you work for apple.

And yes they did beta test to kill the apps. And no I did not expect them to kill the productive apps however I did expect them to kill the apps that unlock the phone for use with other carriers.

They even killed iToner from ambrosia.

if apple thinks I am going to pay 1.98 per ring tone for a song I already own on a CD they are sorrily mistaken.

I have been a loyal apple user since 1988 and pay for every new OS that comes out for each of my computers. I pay for quicktime pro for all of my computers.

They get enough of my money already.

APPLE IS GETTING TOO GREEDY they are turning into another microsoft.

I also want to be able to configure the UI, I don't need u frigging tube and itunes, I have it on my laptop that is enough.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Quote:

You would be better off getting them a iTouch
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Please quit griping.

You can downgrade your firmware and have all your l33t-hak2 back.

http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/ind...1.1.1_to_1.0.2

Happy now?

C.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Please quit griping.

You can downgrade your firmware and have all your l33t-hak2 back.

http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/ind...1.1.1_to_1.0.2

Happy now?

C.

Nope apple is still trying to bleed dry the general public. That is microsoft credo.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KG4MXV View Post

Nope apple is still trying to bleed dry the general public. That is microsoft credo.

A $200 price cut is hardly bleeding them dry.

Why no free ringtones? - 'cos Apple has to work with the record companies who want revenue for Ringtones. The record companies are already unhappy because iTunes includes a CD ripper.

Why no installable 3rd party Apps? - because Apple has to to work with AT&T ( & O2 etc) and if you could easily install Skype for iPhone - then at 2c per minute, no-one would ever pay for mobile rates again.

Yes Apple could deliver these things for free, but at the cost of losing their partners.

Could this cost Apple in the long term? Yes, it certainly hurt Sony.

Does that make Apple as evil as Microsoft. Possibly, but Apple is using its power to shift the market towards no DRM, and I'd still argue that Apple places the experience of the customer much higher than MS or Sony.

I'd suggest you wait until Apple has established itself as a major mobile phone vendor. And compare its ethics then.

But if you don't like it. Dump you iPhone and buy a Zune.

C.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Quote:

If there was ANY logic to your position it might be interesting to discuss but Apple has been totally up front with everything they've done with the phone. They said there would be no SDK. They said there would be no unlocking. They said that the current upgrade would likely break both. After the release of the iPod Touch this results was totally predictable as it was reported the iTouch used a different restore process and different encryption scheme.

Apple has always presented that they were selling a phone with these capabilities. They only promised upgrades, which they are delivering (albeit slowly).

The previous poster has given you back your apps by downgrading, so again you've lost nothing.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Quote:

You would be better off getting them a iTouch

iPhones're better for this group. Next year, when the gigs are up higher on the iTouch, I'll rethink. Some of what comes with the phone is the "call me any time if you need a lift" part of the Xmas gift I give. No one should drive drunk, so the phones work out better for that part of the present. It's funny how many people don't want to wait for cabs, but will wait for a friend.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

A $200 price cut is hardly bleeding them dry.

Why no free ringtones? - 'cos Apple has to work with the record companies who want revenue for Ringtones. The record companies are already unhappy because iTunes includes a CD ripper.

Why no installable 3rd party Apps? - because Apple has to to work with AT&T ( & O2 etc) and if you could easily install Skype for iPhone - then at 2c per minute, no-one would ever pay for mobile rates again.

Yes Apple could deliver these things for free, but at the cost of losing their partners.

Could this cost Apple in the long term? Yes, it certainly hurt Sony.

Does that make Apple as evil as Microsoft. Possibly, but Apple is using its power to shift the market towards no DRM, and I'd still argue that Apple places the experience of the customer much higher than MS or Sony.

I'd suggest you wait until Apple has established itself as a major mobile phone vendor. And compare its ethics then.

But if you don't like it. Dump you iPhone and buy a Zune.

C.

I see your point but I still think it is highway robbery to have to buy a song that I already own when I bought the cd and them pay another 99c to make a ringtone.

I do not condone unlocking the phone for use on other networks, as far as installing skipe, I don't use skipe so I don't know exactly how it works other than it is a VOIP provider. and for that to work you need internet service, So unless you are at a hotspot you still have to pay for data service.

Also the upgrade changed safari and I now can not use it to get to my company WWW page that has all my workorders and that is a big problem.

All I am saying is that the 1.1.1 "Down grade" killed a lot of good apps and added a lot of useless fluff that is only designed for you to spend more money.

OH the only reason why I would buy a Zune is to blow it to bits and put the video of it's further demise on Utube.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Quote:

iPhones're better for this group. Next year, when the gigs are up higher on the iTouch, I'll rethink. Some of what comes with the phone is the "call me any time if you need a lift" part of the Xmas gift I give. No one should drive drunk, so the phones work out better for that part of the present. It's funny how many people don't want to wait for cabs, but will wait for a friend.

Good idea but for this purpose of call me anytime, I would choose a prepaid phone.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Quote:

Good idea but for this purpose of call me anytime, I would choose a prepaid phone.

First you tell me to get an iTouch rather than an iPhone for my friends (having no idea their likes and dislikes). Then you tell me you'd choose a prepaid for the "call any time" part of the gift.

First: you don't know my friends, so why an iTouch over the iPhone? Second: a prepaid phone? If my only reason were to give them lifts, I guess, if I were cheap, I might do that. Why would you do that?

I think getting an iPhone is much nicer as a gift ("Oh, look what I got... a prepaid phone?") and serves both the purpose of being fun to play with, full time communication ability (rather than limited prepaid) and takes care of the "call any time." But, I guess money is probably tighter for you, and that makes sense with the prepaid.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

If there was ANY logic to your position it might be interesting to discuss but Apple has been totally up front with everything they've done with the phone. They said there would be no SDK. They said there would be no unlocking. They said that the current upgrade would likely break both. After the release of the iPod Touch this results was totally predictable as it was reported the iTouch used a different restore process and different encryption scheme.

Apple has always presented that they were selling a phone with these capabilities. They only promised upgrades, which they are delivering (albeit slowly).

The previous poster has given you back your apps by downgrading, so again you've lost nothing.

Not quite, there is a possibility of bricking the phone and that is not an option for me. after all I can't return it bricked. and expect a refund.

My logic is that apple is being too greedy and expects you to pay and pay for features that most smart phones already have. The so called upgrades caused a bug in safari that I can't load my companies quickbase WWW page to get my work orders, Before 1.1.1 I could surf the entire page now it only shows 1/3 of the page.

Instead of locking out 3rd party dev, they need to learn from them and incorporate these innovations, they have done it before on the older OSes on their computers.

I.E an old system extension called window shade that added the ability to double click the top header of an window and the body of the window would disappear.

Apple, a year or so later included this into their system update.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Quote:

First you tell me to get an iTouch rather than an iPhone for my friends (having no idea their likes and dislikes). Then you tell me you'd choose a prepaid for the "call any time" part of the gift.

First: you don't know my friends, so why an iTouch over the iPhone? Second: a prepaid phone? If my only reason were to give them lifts, I guess, if I were cheap, I might do that. Why would you do that?

I think getting an iPhone is much nicer as a gift ("Oh, look what I got... a prepaid phone?") and serves both the purpose of being fun to play with, full time communication ability (rather than limited prepaid) and takes care of the "call any time." But, I guess money is probably tighter for you, and that makes sense with the prepaid.

I am not telling you how to spend your money. I will agree if you want to give iPhones for gifts that is cool.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Quote:

I am not telling you how to spend your money. I will agree if you want to give iPhones for gifts that is cool.

We cool.