Why not Blackberry why iPhone ?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Other than for iTunes what is the advantage of an iPhone vs a Blackberry?

The Blackberry can be used with Verizon as opposed to ATT ( a better network)

The Blackberry has push email

The Blackberry has GPS

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammick View Post

The Blackberry has GPS

I don't have one but I'd like one for sure. I think the reason is the interface, the iPod, and the fact that it works better with a Mac. It's just a cool phone.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    I chose an iPhone 'cause of the full featured browser and the ability of the device to display movies and such. I used the internet features of my RAZR when I had it and was never too impressed.

I am very favorably impressed with the iPhone and I've had the Treo (Palm edition) and the Blackberry and didn't like them because of form factor, capabilities (or lack thereof) and such as that. The Treo and the Blackberry were HUGE, and I like carrying my phone in my pocket.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    bg_nycbg_nyc Posts: 189member
    Quote:

The Blackberry has GPS

The ipod is what draws me in. And Safari.

The Blackberry Curve 8320 will allow you to make calls via home or tmobile wifi networks without charging you minutes. This is simply awesome. iPhone needs to add this capability, and need to open it up to allow dialing on any wifi network. Also need to add GPS, push email, voice dialing, and full M$ Outlook compatibility (for my work needs).

I guess it depends on whether you care about those things. If you do, you obviously won't go with the iPhone.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bg_nyc View Post

The ipod is what draws me in. And Safari.

The Blackberry Curve 8320 will allow you to make calls via home or tmobile wifi networks without charging you minutes. This is simply awesome. iPhone needs to add this capability, and need to open it up to allow dialing on any wifi network. Also need to add GPS, push email, voice dialing, and full M$ Outlook compatibility (for my work needs).

I guess it depends on whether you care about those things. If you do, you obviously won't go with the iPhone.

Just keep in mind that you're paying $10/month for the wifi calling plan. To get a similar plan (not quite as good) as the iPhone AT&T plan is $72/month without the wifi calling and $84/month with the WiFi calling (this is tmobile) and the wifi calling is US only, not international (at least as I read it). So, not really so great a deal (the wifi calling).
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Just keep in mind that you're paying $10/month for the wifi calling plan. To get a similar plan (not quite as good) as the iPhone AT&T plan is $72/month without the wifi calling and $84/month with the WiFi calling (this is tmobile) and the wifi calling is US only, not international (at least as I read it). So, not really so great a deal (the wifi calling).

GPS on verizon also costs 10$ extra per month. That's the beauty of the iphone everything it comes wit on the phone works through your data plan so when you want to use a feature you simply use it. Instead of verizon's plan of hey look at all this stuff you can use for a fee. It comes with it but cost you per month.

2 year contract = 24 months

24 months x 10$ per month for wifi calling = 240$

add gps and your talking 480$ or 80$ more than that "overpriced" iPhone for 2 features. You get what you pay for with iphone upfront rather than them miling you for the life of your contract to pay for the device and it's features.

Blackbeery consumer plans last time I checked from verizon start at 80$ per month while iphone starts at 60$

20$ x 24 months = 480$

960$ extra for what you have listed.

It is also 15$ extra per month for unlimited internet acces.

15$ x 24 = 360$

So now we are at 1320$ extra for a blackberry

Add the 200-300 dollars for the cost of the phone and we're talking 1500$ more than an iphone for the same base minutes of 450 plus the blackberry has no free text messages and you can only get plans for in messages not out. iphone has plans for in and out together.

By the way the iPhone is much better than a BB and over time will gain more features without having to buy a new model or pay extra.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    What if we add 8 1 gig SD cards to that price since the blackberry has no storage?

29.99 x 8 = 240$

Now the blackberry is in the range of 1750$-1850$ more than the iphone.

iPhone with 450 minutes and 200 free text messages plus unlimited internet 60$ per month

60$ x 24 months plus 400$ initial investment = $2,040 over the course of 2 years or 85$ per month

Blackberry with 450 minutes no free text messages and internet for email only (no web browsing or internet apps) 80$ per month

80x 24 months plus 200-300$ initial investment = $2,120-$2,220 over the course of 2 years

or 88-92$ per month.

iPhone total cost 80-180$ cheaper than a BB.

Let's say I want internet on my BB. that's an extra 360$ over the life of my contract.

How bout I want to use those 200 text messages on my BB I get for free on my iPhone? .15c x 200 = 30$ x 24 months = 720$ over 2 years

So to get internet and 200 text messages cost me $1,080 more than iPhone putting the prices at

iPhone = $2,040 dollars or 85$ per month

Blackberry = $3,200-$3,300 dollars or $133-$137 per month.

Now you want me to add 10$ for wifi calling and 10$ for GPS? your putting the cost of a Blackberry at

$3.680-$3,780 Only $300-$400 less than double the price of my iPhone.

Now lets add that 8 gig of sd cards so I can listen to music and store my photos, we are now at

$3,920- $4,020 for a blackberry

Thats double the price of my iPhone. So tell me again why I should pay $2,000 more for a BB am I really missing that much that I need to pay and extra $2,000 or an extra 85$ per month then I am currently with my iPhone? Is push email and GPS and Wifi calling really worth the price of a Macbook Pro to have it on my phone? Even though a new iPhone says Apple will add some of these things eventually.

I just wonder why people only look at upfront costs. This phone is $300 that one is $400 this one is cheaper. Not in today's world where they rent your features to you. You have to look at the whole 2 year cost.

That's the beauty of the iPhone no pay-per-feature BS.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    ---My next concern is service---ATT has the worst consumer compaint record regarding coverage---are most people happy with the coverage they're getting?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:

---My next concern is service---ATT has the worst consumer compaint record regarding coverage---are most people happy with the coverage they're getting?

In the last 3 years, I've had phones supplied to me by Sprint, Verizon and Cingular/AT&T. I got better service from Cingular/AT&T than any other.

I paid for an iPhone when the company I work for would have picked up the tab for any Blackberry I would have wanted.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

I came from verizon it's a small trade off. I have yet to have a serious problem and actually am getting better coverage than I thought I would. I have done heavy traveling across the U.S. with it as well and it works everywhere except 2 remote places my verizon worked but there are 3 places my verizon phone didn't work that this phone has a full signal at. So like I said it's a trade off.