Adjusting and rearranging the iPhone's icons

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I think this would be a better default Apple-layout for the iPhone's icons. You will (or should) notice this new layout batches like, or related icons together, in a way that, in my opinion makes more sense. And also, why in God's name doesn't Apple allow people to rearrange them? You may have a few questions about my decisions, or you may be confused about missing icons etc., I'll be here to answer. As far as I know I have thought this layout through.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    I think you hit the nail on the head here. Those are icons that should be added/omitted and we should be allowed to move them around. However I don't agree with the layout you have just because putting the same color icons near each other doesn't look right. Should mix things a bit or change the colors of some of the icons.

We need iChat though. I'm really disappointed about it not being available. Same goes for the video capabilities that we don't have, can't believe you can still only take still pics.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    that's not bad for a home screen layout, however i was wondering how DO you rearrange the icons?? and how do we make some dissappear if we dont want them...
  • Reply 3 of 14
    I am not particular about the layout of the icons, I would just like the options of choosing what I want to have as a widget. More than that, I would love to have a search feature....
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Looks like its set up for right thumb operation?

I don't understand why they can't be moved around and removed by the user when something similar can be done in other parts of the OS (the little "dock" in the iPod section)

Personally I'd remove Games, Clock, Youtube, Calculator and Settings off the front altogether. and put Photos, Mail and Safari in an icon called "other stuff" or something. I really only need quick access to Calendar, Notes and possibly Camera as long as I can copy text from Notes right into an Mail then Notes would be my primary place to be aside from Calendar.

oh yes and can we do landscape input in Notes yet?

There are alreay the Text, Phone and iPod buttons.

In my version I have LOTS of space, so if I have just bought a new game I can put that ONE game out on the front "page" or "space" (spaces anyone?)

I haven't gotten my hands on one yet, but I plan on signing up in late November early December so my thoughts here may change.

It does baffle me why Apple won't let users rearrange the buttons though.

I took a quick glance at Apples layout its a jumble, but then no offence but that many Icons make it look like a jumble to me no matter what way they might be ordered, it really MUST be easier to use in reality.

Anyway heres my quick and dirty effort. feel free to pur scorn on it I know I would

• Reply 5 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Multi-page feature was found recently hidden in the iPhone's code, interestingly Apple was the one who put it there. You swipe left of right, or you press those little dots to change pages, just like the iPhone's weather widget.

• Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Multi-page feature was found recently hidden in the iPhone's code, interestingly Apple was the one who put it there. You swipe left of right, or you press those little dots to change pages, just like the iPhone's weather widget.

Excellent!

and the Rearrange? I haven't been keeping up to date with all the latest iPhone developments because I don't see the point till I actually have one in my hands.

Any word on it comming to you're part of the world soon?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Excellent!

and the Rearrange? I haven't been keeping up to date with all the latest iPhone developments because I don't see the point till I actually have one in my hands.

Any word on it comming to you're part of the world soon?

I heard it's coming February. No word on the rearranging. Then again no word on anything from Apple, but a real SDK of some kind is pretty much guaranteed in 2008. I think it'll be announced an Macworld myself, but I'd say Apple will control distribution of the third party apps. It will either be done through iTunes or through a separate icon on the home-screen. Of course all these are merely educated guesses, so we'll see what happens.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

I heard it's coming February. No word on the rearranging. Then again no word on anything from Apple, but a real SDK of some kind is pretty much guaranteed in 2008. I think it'll be announced an Macworld myself, but I'd say Apple will control distribution of the third party apps. It will either be done through iTunes or through a separate icon on the home-screen. Of course all these are merely educated guesses, so we'll see what happens.

I thought This web 2.0 on Safari stuff was more where they are going? why announce a "development kit" at a Mac (consumer) event? doesn't make sense.

Sadly I think everyone thought that at the very least Apple would sell iPhone Apps through iTMS, and because of that assumption most people looking for added functionality in the iPhone are disappointed. Apples deafening silence is a pain, but really no more than usual IMO.

If the iPhone development held back Leopard (yes I'm starting to get excited about Leopard again!) then its only reasonable to assume that with all hands to the Leopard pump for release at the end of the month the iPhone development has slowed down. Mac world should be interesting, but IMO expect a "consumer" announcment of a sevice AVALIBLE that day in relation to the iPhone if anything at all (barring the usual "sales figures are good" , or indeed "AMAZING-BOOM!" etc.)

Macworld is or should be IMO, about what "YOU" can buy today, it would clutter the Stevenote too much to explain, "we have the iPhone out and we are going to release an SDK so that means in x months time we might have some 3rd party apps that you might/should be able to download" the Steve version of that, that I hear is "We've been working on some iPhone Apps with (insert 3rd party) you can buy them today from iTMS, heres a really cool one, let me show you a demo" etc. (optional "DOLLAR NINTY NINE" )

But what to add? anything useful to a "business" user should almost be expected, so should come as a free firmware update.

I could almost see M$ delivering an "office" style package for it with Mail Document editing and syncing, except that Apple have this fairly well covered. mm.. Perhaps That is Part of the reason for Apple not offering an SDK they don't want M$ getting their paws on it photocopier anyone?

So its down to games being offered through iTMS, I can see that, theres money to be made, where as through a web browser its a given that games are free.

It's very hard to see Apple reasons just now, unless they really are in persuit of a more open and standardized web.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Would love to get Chess on the iPhone. I played it for the first time here on the MBP. Played 3 games. Got my ass kicked the first 2 times and then the last game was stalemate. We each had a king, thats all we had left and just kept going in circles for 20min and I stopped it. I love Chess and I think it would work well on the multi-touch.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

I thought [URL="http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=79712"]

Macworld is or should be IMO, about what "YOU" can buy today, it would clutter the Stevenote too much to explain, "we have the iPhone out and we are going to release an SDK so that means in x months time we might have some 3rd party apps that you might/should be able to download" the Steve version of that, that I hear is "We've been working on some iPhone Apps with (insert 3rd party) you can buy them today from iTMS, heres a really cool one, let me show you a demo" etc. (optional "DOLLAR NINTY NINE" )

So its down to games being offered through iTMS, I can see that, theres money to be made, where as through a web browser its a given that games are free.

It's very hard to see Apple reasons just now, unless they really are in persuit of a more open and standardized web.

I believe that we should get everything that comes with a Mac computer. For instance, the iPhone runs OS X, do you think we should have things like QuickTime, Chess, iChat, widgets, and some of the other things that come on the computers. We shouldn't have to pay for such things. "Other" items I can see paying for though, like a Microsoft Office package or something.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

As far as I know I have thought this layout through.

As long as you're sure about that...

I like what you've done, and think the user should be able to move and choose positions.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

I believe that we should get everything that comes with a Mac computer. For instance, the iPhone runs OS X, do you think we should have things like QuickTime, Chess, iChat, widgets, and some of the other things that come on the computers. We shouldn't have to pay for such things. "Other" items I can see paying for though, like a Microsoft Office package or something.

EVERYTHING??

Even Comic life? DVD player and iMovie?

seriously though what about Garage Band? how would that work? Some stuff just won't work on that small screen. but I agree bring as much as possible to the iPhone.

-

So, Ireland, you goona share with us WHY you chose that layout? stil waiting man
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

So, Ireland, you goona share with us WHY you chose that layout? stil waiting man

You mean this layout?

Sure.

"Internet" apps in the first row. Well apps associated with the internet anyway. Safari, Mail, iChat and YouTube. Seems like they would work well up there.

Next row, "office apps". For office type things. Well you get the picture Im sure.

Next row, the camera and photos, would be stupid not to keep them together seeing as they are closely related. The widgets, and games, mainly for fun, either way, not as important as the top two rows I think.

Search and Settings should be together, and they are both that type, and keeping them on the bottom row, separate, gives them a nice home. Kind of out of the way on their own, but easily accessible at the same time.

Then there's the dock, this is a phone after all. Oh, and an iPod. So, Phone, then text, and iPod and iTunes always have gone together, and in that order too.

Other than that, I have tried numerous different layouts, and this way seemed to work the best for me.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    so there is NO way of rearranging the icons?? how do u do the multi page thing for the homescreen?

also, i had a page full of icons.. then now i installed something else and the icon is not there anymore? where can i find it??

thanks in advance!