Ringtone!!! Arrrrggggghhhh!!!!

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I am thoroughly frustrated with the ringtone mess that Apple has created! Why can't I use the ringtones I have already purchased elsewhere or ones that I have rolled myself? The iPhone has become the least customizable cellphone on the market - so un-Apple!

If you are equally frustrated the sign this petition and be heard:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/cus...for-the-iphone

Free the iPhone!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stacybre View Post

I am thoroughly frustrated with the ringtone mess that Apple has created! Why can't I use the ringtones I have already purchased elsewhere or ones that I have rolled myself? The iPhone has become the least customizable cellphone on the market - so un-Apple!

If you are equally frustrated the sign this petition and be heard:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/cus...for-the-iphone

Free the iPhone!

It's not totally up to Apple. I think they record companies are pulling their strings.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    "It's not totally up to Apple. I think they record companies are pulling their strings."

We're all responsible for our actions, including Apple. They've stood up to the industry before--they're choosing to cow with their tail between their legs because they like the revenue. It's greed and gutlessness, pure and simple.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrmister View Post

"It's not totally up to Apple. I think they record companies are pulling their strings."

We're all responsible for our actions, including Apple. They've stood up to the industry before--they're choosing to cow with their tail between their legs because they like the revenue. It's greed and gutlessness, pure and simple.

Yes because it suited their purposes at the time. All companies are greedy. They're supposed to be. But the market and consumers decide how greedy they can be.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    nevenneven Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrmister View Post

They've stood up to the industry before--they're choosing to cow with their tail between their legs because they like the revenue. It's greed and gutlessness, pure and simple.

Just like they stood up to NBC and Universal, huh? That had no consequences, did it?

It looks like content providers are hitting Apple hard this year. Don't expect any great features that depend on approval from record companies and studios.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    kg4mxvkg4mxv Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacFP View Post

It's not totally up to Apple. I think they record companies are pulling their strings.

Maybe so if you are going to use their music as ringtones what about the people that want to use their own music or sounds that they have made.

I am not saying that apple make it easy to use their itunes app to load them but not lock out apps like iToner that you can load ringtones with out itunes. there fore apple is not liable the end user is guilty of using unlicensed music.

After thinking about it apple is 100% in line for charging for the use of their service to add ringtones and also paying for the license for the use of said music as a ringtone.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    yianyian Posts: 4member
    What I'm most angry about with the ringtone situation is that most of the ringtones i want aren't going to be available through iTMS, for any price. On my old phone, I had the 24 ringtone, The Office theme song, etc, and somehow I doubt I'll be able to get that off iTMS and set it as my ringtone on my iPhone.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    You could take a pen and sign Steve's forehead, but it still wouldn't make him change his mind.

He's an arrogant man with an arrogant plan
  • Reply 8 of 8
    So I just updated my iPhone to the newest version. I had put on several of my own songs for ringtones and now they wont play with the update. Is this a common issue I'm assuming Apple patched with the update?