RECOMMENDED RESOURCES TO LEARN OSx & IBook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just purchased my first Mac, the black IBook. What good resources (books, DVD/CD/Video) would you recommend to learn the basics and beyond with OSx and the IBook?

Thank You

Rick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    there is no such thing as a black ibook unless it was spray painted.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Yeah, it would probably be the black Macbook.

"Mac OS X: The Missing Manual" from Pogue is the only thing I used at the beginning. It's pretty thorough. I wouldn't have had any problems even without the book - I read it to make sure I'm not missing any useful or fun features.

After you're up and running, if there's some unusual or deep tweaking you want to do I recommend searching macosxhints.com for what you want to accomplish.

For solving a problem that appears like a bug or malfunction, check out Apple's support pages, google for similar problems, use AppleCare, and ask around here.

There's plenty of free, recommended software, and many old threads here on AI devoted to that topic. Read them.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Another vote for Mac OS X: The Missing Manual.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rr53891 View Post

I just purchased my first Mac, the black IBook. What good resources (books, DVD/CD/Video) would you recommend to learn the basics and beyond with OSx and the IBook?

Thank You

Rick

See if your local library (or you can buy it) has MacWorld, etc, good Mac magazines. I like them not so much for news or reviews, but all the juicy tips-and-tricks and pointers to those "hidden gems" kind of software.

Also the "ScreenCast" podcasts might be good.