Am I being unreasonable?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Bought a 20" iMac 3 weeks before the new ones were released. Love the machine...getting over the $300 I would have saved if I had waited.

Now I have lost internet connectivity. Took it to the MacAuthority store here in Nashville a week ago. They called yesterday to say that they had ordered a new logic board (under warranty), but no mention on the voice mail as to how long before I'd have the machine back. So I called...seems the part is backordered untill 10/22!!. Not happy here. If that date holds up, it will be over a month before I get the machine back. I am missing valuable time and losing money with this machine out of service.

This is my first Mac. Was sick of dealing with PCs and their many issues. I also wanted to avoid shoddy customer service practices. Love the machine, but over a month to get a logic board replaced? Am I right to be upset? Should I expect better service, or is this SOP for Apple? Ugh

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Geoff_B View Post

Bought a 20" iMac 3 weeks before the new ones were released. Love the machine...getting over the $300 I would have saved if I had waited.

Now I have lost internet connectivity. Took it to the MacAuthority store here in Nashville a week ago. They called yesterday to say that they had ordered a new logic board (under warranty), but no mention on the voice mail as to how long before I'd have the machine back. So I called...seems the part is backordered untill 10/22!!. Not happy here. If that date holds up, it will be over a month before I get the machine back. I am missing valuable time and losing money with this machine out of service.

This is my first Mac. Was sick of dealing with PCs and their many issues. I also wanted to avoid shoddy customer service practices. Love the machine, but over a month to get a logic board replaced? Am I right to be upset? Should I expect better service, or is this SOP for Apple? Ugh

apples service stunk for me too. Thats what happens when theres a monopoly on hardware.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    if you are using your mac professionaly (to earn money):

you would have a backup computer (or an insurance for a replacement-mac) while your mac is in service (and you would have a up-to-date backup) of corse

if you use your mac privatly and spared the money for a protection plan:

read a book or go outside!

apples support is great for a company that size!

but you get, what you payed for.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peve View Post

if you are using your mac professionaly (to earn money):

you would have a backup computer (or an insurance for a replacement-mac) while your mac is in service (and you would have a up-to-date backup) of corse

if you use your mac privatly and spared the money for a protection plan:

read a book or go outside!

apples support is great for a company that size!

but you get, what you payed for.

What I "paid" for was a new iMac in July. I use mine privately. It's still covered under warranty, as I said in my original post.

So you're saying that it seems reasonable to you that a person should wait over a month for a logic card to arrive and be installed?

BTW, my data is backed up, etc. I clone my HD every week. It's not my main revenue stream, but at this time of year things get busy. I don't see the relevance of your comments regarding back-up computers, etc (which I have). My question was pretty specific...i.e., am I being unreasonable regarding the customer service for this particular issue with this particular computer?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I wouldn't be happy either. I would go to the Apple store and have a talk. Speak with a manager. Perhaps you can get a store voucher for the faulty logic board.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    Quote:

I don't see the relevance of your comments...

i thought you where complaing about losing money.

Quote:

...I am missing valuable time and losing money with this machine out of service.

...and i just don't understand people putting their company at risk, because they base their entire company on one machine alone (and having no plan if that one machine breaks down one day).

(i may be a little oversensitive about this topic...)

Quote:

am I being unreasonable regarding the customer service for this particular issue with this particular computer?

don't get me wrong. i understand that you are angry

hardware defects suck.

a defective part that isn't on stock (resulting in a delayed repair) sucks even more.

your warranty covers the price for repair - and nothing else.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    [QUOTE=peve;1151220]i thought you where complaing about losing money.

My "complaint" is in regard to a 4-5 week wait for a logic board install. Is this normal? Do other Mac users have similar experiences? Am I being unreasonable in my expectation that the work should be done in less time? Simple, straightforward questions.

...and i just don't understand people putting their company at risk, because they base their entire company on one machine alone (and having no plan if that one machine breaks down one day).

(i may be a little oversensitive about this topic...)

And maybe you base your comments on a lot of conjecture (reading things that aren't there). Your comments are based on whatever preconceived notions you seem to have about my preparedness/unpreparedness. Personally, I don't appreciate that. Personally, I shouldn't have to explain this to you in the first place. Personally...I think you've taken my original post and widened the topic to give yourself a platform for your own silly-assed agenda. So I will ask you to kindly piss off, mate. Surely you can find other places to lecture.

don't get me wrong. i understand that you are angry

hardware defects suck.

a defective part that isn't on stock (resulting in a delayed repair) sucks even more.

your warranty covers the price for repair - and nothing else.

Brilliant.....I had no idea...thanks so much
  • Reply 7 of 7
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    I have found my Apple products to be good quality and rarely does anything go wrong. However, when Apple things go wrong they go very wrong. They seem to swing from perfect to very wrong with not much inbetween. Dont let this dampen your enthusiasm about macs. Just a bad apple in the bunch!

I'd say if your mac is in the shop for x days then Apple should really make your warranty one year + x days