Sony: Copying music you own is "stealing"

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-stealing.html

Gabriel asked if it was wrong for consumers to make copies of music which they have purchased, even just one copy. Pariser replied, "When an individual makes a copy of a song for himself, I suppose we can say he stole a song." Making "a copy" of a purchased song is just "a nice way of saying 'steals just one copy'," she said.

Countless studies have shown that the majority of music on portable music players like the iPod comes from sources other than download services. For most people, that music is comprised primarily of songs "ripped" from CD collections to MP3 or some other comparable format. Indeed, most portable music players comes with software (like iTunes) which is designed to facilitate the easy ripping of CDs. According to Pariser's view, this is stealing.

Un. Be. Leave. A. Ble.

You wonder why people hate music labels and want them to die a painful death? Look no further.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    This is partly why I have no ill judgement of people who torrent their music rather than buy it and rip it. The music company views you the same way no matter which you do.

Die RIAA! Die! I will run over your still twitching body with my Pirate Bay SUV. I will then reverse until I run over you again. Finally, I will repeat for good measure just for the joy of it. RIAA, MPAA, your days are numbered. Be afraid. Be very afraid.