Boot Camp & Games

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi, I've decided to buy an iMac (at least the 2.4Ghz ones) or MacBook Pro (at least the 2.4Ghz ones) for my Graphics Design/Interactive Multimedia courses. However, I was wondering if I would still be able to play games like Supreme Commander, BioShock etc. by running Boot Camp.

I saw that BF2142, C&C:Tiberium Wars just came out for the Mac. Has anyone tried gaming with Mac OS X? Are there any pros and cons of it?

Thanks in advance,

John

p.s. Sorry if I sound rude, but if you're gonna ask me to buy a PC instead, for gaming, then please don't post here at all. I have my reasons for buying a Mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    You can play games. As long as you're using Boot Camp and not Parallels, it'll be just like runnin gthose games on a Windows computer with that hardware.

I haven't heard about the latest games that have come out, but I think developers still pay much more attention to PC games than to porting games to OSX. The main thing that comes to mind is Prey. Right now, the windows version is $20, Mac is $50 still. Add to that bad hardwae support in general and bad effects, and I say it isn't worth getting the OSX version of the game.

Prey may be a bad example though... I haven't heard anything about C&C3 or BF2142.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    The 8600 is slightly better than the ATI - the Nvidia is about as powerful as the 7600, and it's fine in DX9 mode, but not very good at in DX10 model - which doesn't matter at this point, as there are hardly any games that support it (like Bioshock), and you would also need Vista, which is fine, but the 8600 is a poor DX10 card to begin with.

Personally, I would go with the MBP because of portability, even the 17" model doesn't seem that big, and the iMac uses laptop components anyhow.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

The 8600 is slightly better than the ATI - the Nvidia is about as powerful as the 7600, and it's fine in DX9 mode, but not very good at in DX10 model - which doesn't matter at this point, as there are hardly any games that support it (like Bioshock), and you would also need Vista, which is fine, but the 8600 is a poor DX10 card to begin with.

Personally, I would go with the MBP because of portability, even the 17" model doesn't seem that big, and the iMac uses laptop components anyhow.

the MacBook pro is fine for gameing. I have the one listed below and it plays cs source very nicely when using crossover for mac.crossover is good if you dont want to log into windows using bootcamp and all the cs's seem to work very well using crossover.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    If you're a student you can probably get windows on the cheap. Otherwise, I will also recommend crossover when it's workable. If you've ever heard of "wine," it's basically the same thing, but for Mac OS X specifically.

Personally, I can't give you advice on those two games: I'm getting old and those are way too stressful for me now. I think I'm limited now to turn-based games and FIFA on the console, but the latter only with friends and many beers. I'm holding off for '2009 (2008 just came out) when Man City will, without doubt, have a stronger representation. I think I'll buy a PS3 for that.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    well, keep in mind that the boot camp availible online right now will expire when leapord comes out, so, unless you plan to buy leapord right away after buying, wait till the end of the month. Remember that bootcamp turns your mac into a full-fledged windows PC that just happens to be manufactured by Apple, so anything should work. As for the computer, i would buy the MBP, as it is basically the iMac, only portable.

Also, the Online Apple Store has costomer reviews on all those games, so go there to find out. I think that the games do not run perfectly on mac though...