iPhone service questions....

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hey All.

This question is directed at anyone who has an iphone.

I will be traveling overseas ALOT this next year. I was going to get an ipod touch for the wifi use....and then upgrade to an iphone when i get back....but I thought maybe i should just get the iphone now.

Heres the thing. I am not one of those people who want to use another service. I don't want to hack the phone to use another carrier. AT&T is fine.

But while traveling overseas, i won't need the service. Does anyone know if you can "freeze" it while traveling, but can still use the "wifi"?

OR...can I just pay the 2 year contract upfront? $59x24 I guess....so I don't have to worry about paying anything else?

Also...if I am overseas or in a "roaming" area...and I just want to surf the net on my iphone...can i CHOOSE wifi? instead of being forced to used the edge service and getting screwed in roaming fees?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    You can turn the EDGE network off and still surf using WiFi.

I think the airplane mode disables WiFi. That would disable both EDGE and calling features.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Thanks.

What about the AT&T plan? Can you freeze it while traveling overseas?

Or if you choose the $59 plan...can you just pay for 2 years upfront so you don't have to worry about monthly billing?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

Thanks.

What about the AT&T plan? Can you freeze it while traveling overseas?

Or if you choose the $59 plan...can you just pay for 2 years upfront so you don't have to worry about monthly billing?

Dunno about those. I would call AT&T and ask.

You can set up automatic billing so it automatically charges your credit/debit card.