PowerBook G4 - glowing red audio out

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all

Had headphones plugged in for a few hours - plugged them out and got no audio. Noticed a glowing red light inside the audio port. I realize this indicates the interface is set to digital out, but I can't get it to switch back to ordinary built-in line audio. Headphones continue to work, but red light is back every time I plug out. Suggestions? Maybe a mod can decide if this should me moved to Genius Bar?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nickmini View Post

Hi all

Had headphones plugged in for a few hours - plugged them out and got no audio. Noticed a glowing red light inside the audio port. I realize this indicates the interface is set to digital out, but I can't get it to switch back to ordinary built-in line audio. Headphones continue to work, but red light is back every time I plug out. Suggestions? Maybe a mod can decide if this should me moved to Genius Bar?

Did you resolve your issue? Did a reboot help?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plasma View Post

Did you resolve your issue? Did a reboot help?

No, reboots don't help. I found other threads on Apple support forums where the cause was identified - there's apparently a tiny switch which the headphone or speaker jack is supposed to actuate on insertion and on removal. The problem is the microswitch is "stuck" in a position which apparently is reserved for optical audio devices (hence the light I guess). The proposed solution was to fiddle around just inside the entrance and get the switch unstuck, which seems to have helped at least some people. Not me. I could find positions where the light would go out temporarily but I never got back audio from the built in speakers and on reboot the light was back. At this stage, I've given up. At least I can use my headphones, and truthfully I didn't use the built in speakers much anyway.

Ah well
  • Reply 3 of 4
    try inserting/removing an optical digital mini plug. that should fix it. i didnt even know they exist but only apple would come up with digital and analog on the same jack! this is what you need...

http://monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=2809
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Almost all Asus notebooks have this dual analog/optical mini plug connector (audio out only), Apple products are the only ones I know of that also have it as input. I think it's a great idea.