iPhone 10% failure rate?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Does anyone know the official stats on the iPhone failure rate? I am a tech consultant - out of the 22 clients of mine who purchased an iPhone, 10 had to be returned for a new one. In fact, mine just died completely the other day for no reason at all. I just returned for a new one...

This makes me very nervous, but I have not seen any reports as such. They were all purchased at different times. None of the analysts seem to have factored in returns or the likely 20-30million in rebates Apple may have had to give out with their 100 coupon (100 dollars times approx 300,000 sales...)

I can't find the stats anywhere - anyone know?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    I'd guess the failure rate would be less than a laptop because of the lack of a hard drive, and laptops have a reported 20% failure rate.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/06...failure_rates/

Quote:

iPods have been criticized for their short life-span, fragile hard drives, and planned obsolescence.[43][44] A 2005 survey conducted on the MacInTouch website found that the iPod had an average failure rate of 13.7%. It concluded that some models were more durable than others.[45] In particular failure rates for iPods employing hard drives was usually above 20% while those with flash memory had a failure rate below 10%, indicating poor hard drive durability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod

I would guess there are similarities between an iPod and an iPhone where failure is concerned. I would guess that the surface touch hardware would probably double the failure rate...but that's a wild ass guess with no supporting evidence.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebigapple View Post

Does anyone know the official stats on the iPhone failure rate? I am a tech consultant - out of the 22 clients of mine who purchased an iPhone, 10 had to be returned for a new one. In fact, mine just died completely the other day for no reason at all. I just returned for a new one...

This makes me very nervous, but I have not seen any reports as such. They were all purchased at different times. None of the analysts seem to have factored in returns or the likely 20-30million in rebates Apple may have had to give out with their 100 coupon (100 dollars times approx 300,000 sales...)

Perhaps they were defective from the get-go. Did you and your 22 clients get them from the same store?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

Perhaps they were defective from the get-go. Did you and your 22 clients get them from the same store?

they got them from the stores in New York City. Soho and Fifth Avenue - maybe it was a bad NY shipment? Either way, I'm trying to figure out how the stock price could possibly be this high - it seems they would need to beat earnings by almost a $1 in order to justify it, which I don't think I've seen any company do ever!....
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebigapple View Post

Dont be nervouse. Most networks had a return rate of up to 70% for the N95 when it first came out.