DVD rip

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
what is the best way to rip dvd's onto my computer? what is best recommended program?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 11
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IU SRT8 View Post


    what is the best way to rip dvd's onto my computer? what is best recommended program?



    Mac the Ripper to leave them in their raw format but just remove the encryption (quicker). http://www.mactheripper.org/ - copies DVDs to hard disk for playing with DVD Player.



    Handbrake to rip and convert to mp4 for use in iMovie, Quicktime or on iPod etc(more useful)

    http://handbrake.m0k.org/.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post


    Mac the Ripper to leave them in their raw format but just remove the encryption (quicker). http://www.mactheripper.org/ - copies DVDs to hard disk for playing with DVD Player.



    Handbrake to rip and convert to mp4 for use in iMovie, Quicktime or on iPod etc(more useful)

    http://handbrake.m0k.org/.



    Thanks for the quick help. What would be best to use just for storing on an external hard drive, or is it personal preference?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IU SRT8 View Post


    Thanks for the quick help. What would be best to use just for storing on an external hard drive, or is it personal preference?



    You can achieve smaller file sizes with Handbrake, but you'll spend a lot longer doing the ripping.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post


    You can achieve smaller file sizes with Handbrake, but you'll spend a lot longer doing the ripping.



    k so mac the ripper is good for ripping, how about a program for burning the ripped files back onto another dvd?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post


    k so mac the ripper is good for ripping, how about a program for burning the ripped files back onto another dvd?





    Toast, Disk Utility or Finder will do that from the Video_TS folder MtR produces.



    You'd need iDVD or Toast to re-encode the output from Handbrake back to DVD.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    bg_nycbg_nyc Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post


    k so mac the ripper is good for ripping, how about a program for burning the ripped files back onto another dvd?



    Do you want to make MP4 and h.264 movies, or do you want to backup DVDs?



    If you want to make MP4s, follow instructions above. If you want to backup DVDs, you should go visit Mac The Ripper forums. MTR will extract, but there are some other issues that can not be solved with MTR (Dead cells, mastering errors). You may need additional software depending on what DVDs you want to backup.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    so if i wanted to backup a copy of "The Office" since it is not a movie, do i go about it in the same way. i tried it and selected all the chapters, but only one episode came out of it. but it took over 2 hours to cop just for that one episode. is this normal?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IU SRT8 View Post


    so if i wanted to backup a copy of "The Office" since it is not a movie, do i go about it in the same way. i tried it and selected all the chapters, but only one episode came out of it. but it took over 2 hours to cop just for that one episode. is this normal?



    Using what?



    can't help if we don't know what app you are using
  • Reply 9 of 11
    basically, i want to know what's the fastest way to take the video_ts files that i have just ripped and burn them onto a dvd so i can watch the movie on my dvd player.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post


    Using what?



    can't help if we don't know what app you are using



    Sorry! I was using handbrake.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    bg_nycbg_nyc Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post


    basically, i want to know what's the fastest way to take the video_ts files that i have just ripped and burn them onto a dvd so i can watch the movie on my dvd player.



    Lets talk in terms of cost and reliability, not speed. Speed is kind of irrelevant, as it will depend on the length of the movie, whether you're copying extras, and whether you want the ultimate product (your backup) to work.



    Cheapest way: rip 'Movie-Only' using free MTR download, then burn using disk utility.



    Most reliable way (and only way to backup Sony and other advanced copy protected disks):

    1) Don't use your internal Matshita drive. It will create problems. Get an external DVD-RW drive, preferably Pioneer.

    2) Donate at MTR forums and get the latest beta of MTR (r14d).

    3) Rip full-disk extraction to your hard drive (will create a Video_TS file). Test it using Apple DVD player app.

    4) Run MTR output through DVD2OneX2 (aka DTOX) to remove dead cells and mastering errors missed by MTR. (This software is not cheap but it works. It will also burn. Download trial first.)

    5) Burn using Toast or other disk burning app (Toast works best).



    You can back up your disks on the cheap, but it won't work on newer movies. And you'll be disappointed if your backup is only good for serving as a coaster.



    All of these things are explained and discussed thoroughly in the MacTheRipper forums. Follow the link from earlier to find them.
Sign In or Register to comment.