iPod Hi-Fi Predecessor?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Has anyone heard any news on whether there will be a successor to the discontinued iPod Hi-Fi?

I'm the the market for a decent speaker system for my Mac preferably with SP/DIF connection, and really liked the iPod Hi-Fi but if its not being sold anymore then I thought maybe a new one is coming out.

Chris

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    I suppose the Airport Express was the closest thing to a predecessor to the iPod HiFi since it allows iTunes content to be played on a HiFi via an Optical Audio port.

No idea if they'll be a sucessor to the iPod HiFi though.

--- --- ---

These Firewire-powered speakers have a similar look (well glossy white plastic and black anyway). I'm considering them to replace the Apple Pro Speakers I have on my iMac G4 at the moment.

http://www.macuser.co.uk/macuser/rev...-speakers.html
  • Reply 2 of 4
    steste Posts: 119member
    According to this http://www.techshout.com/gadgets/200...-discontinued/ article, Apple have no plans to revive the iPod Hi-Fi. Quote:
    However Engadget got a little PR quote on this, where Apple stated, “Apple has decided to focus priorities on the iPod and iPhone and will not be making more iPod Hi-Fi units. There are over 4,000 accessories in the iPod ecosystem and hundreds of speakers systems designed specifically for the iPod, which provide customers with a wide variety of options.”
    I, for one, am saddened at the news because, despite being a tad pricey, sound-wise Apple's boombox was head-and-shoulders above the competition. The Bose sounds like crap in comparison.

The Hi-Fi was next on my want list, and I've desperately been searching for a new (not ex-store display), boxed model to purchase ever since the news hit. So far, no luck. If anyone knows of a reputable dealer that still has them in stock, please let me know.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    You say predecessor, but I'm sure you mean successor.

The successor to the iPod Hi-Fi probably should be like the Apple TV, in that it should not require you to even own an iPod to use the device. Imagine a stand alone iPod Hi-Fi with 802.11n wireless a 80GB hard drive, and a small touch screen. It also should have a built-in FM radio too. $299 for that device, that would be sweet. A Small iPod dock on top then too, so any one of your friends could drop in their iPod, iPod touch, or iPhone, to show you a song, or play their music.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    steste Posts: 119member
    Got one!!! A brand-new Apple iPod Hi-Fi, that is.

I didn't want to say anything until now for fear of jinxing the deal, but I spoke to the Account Manager at my local CompUSA last week, who said he'd check around the other stores and their suppliers to see if anyone still had the Hi-Fi in stock. It seemed like a long shot, but he managed to track one down and have it shipped to New Orleans from Knoxville, TN. Apparently, there were only three left in the entire company.

I'm probably nuts for still wanting this, but what the hey -- it sounds great!