ATT and EDGE--on iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Does the signal regarding voice on the iPhone (the bars) have anything to the strength of the EDGE nework?

Does the EDGE network ever encroach on your wifi signal ---taking it over to supply EDGE rather than wifi? Even thought an adequate wifi signal exists?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    The first part, I don't think so.

The second part, Flat out NO.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammick View Post

Does the signal regarding voice on the iPhone (the bars) have anything to the strength of the EDGE nework?

Does the EDGE network ever encroach on your wifi signal ---taking it over to supply EDGE rather than wifi? Even thought an adequate wifi signal exists?

I'm not certain. The EDGE network seems to be faster in some places than others. Here in Orlando, it sometimes seems so slow that I'm not even sure it is working because I end up giving up waiting. When I was in Las Vegas, it was fine. I'm not sure if it is signal or something else that affects the speed.

I notice that if I pick up the iPhone at home and slide to unlock it will sometimes jump from Wi-Fi to EDGE and in about 20 seconds switch back to Wi-Fi. I'm not sure if that is a glitch or what, but it takes Wi-Fi whenever it is available.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    I had 3 computers on my home wi fi network ( Airport Extreme) and when I connected my phone, the wifi signal would gradually deminish--I would have to go into airplane mode and then out of airplane mode again and the signal would be strong--like reconnecting -I couldn't understand it---even though the signals on the computers were strong and even if I was close to the router--
  • Reply 4 of 4
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammick View Post

I had 3 computers on my home wi fi network ( Airport Extreme) and when I connected my phone, the wifi signal would gradually deminish--I would have to go into airplane mode and then out of airplane mode again and the signal would be strong--like reconnecting -I couldn't understand it---even though the signals on the computers were strong and even if I was close to the router--

Are you password protected? I live near a park and I always left my signal open for anyone in the vicinity to use and that used to happen to me. I assumed my signal was being cannibalized by neighbors, and park attendee's, so I password protected my signal, once I was the only one using it things changed.