Anyway they could let your calls go through, when on edge?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
It really annoys me how if you're using edge (actually receiving data), your incoming phone calls don't go through. It sends the people to voice mail.

Whenever I am expecting a call, I have to make sure I don't use the web browser, and of course it is a good way to kill some time, and I purposely can't use it as I'm scared to miss the call.

Is there anyway this could be improved the future, or physically impossible?

My wish is that the network was smart enough to interrupt the edge data, and just let the call through since obviously you care about the call more than the edge data.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ibook911 View Post

It really annoys me how if you're using edge (actually receiving data), your incoming phone calls don't go through. It sends the people to voice mail.

Whenever I am expecting a call, I have to make sure I don't use the web browser, and of course it is a good way to kill some time, and I purposely can't use it as I'm scared to miss the call.

Is there anyway this could be improved the future, or physically impossible?

My wish is that the network was smart enough to interrupt the edge data, and just let the call through since obviously you care about the call more than the edge data.

Not with EDGE, but the 3G iteration (should Apple ever feel it necessary to grace us with one ) won't have that problem at all.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

Not with EDGE, but the 3G iteration (should Apple ever feel it necessary to grace us with one ) won't have that problem at all.

In fact, even better, you can make/receive calls without interrupting whatever is downloading at the time.

Apparently some flavours of EDGE can do that, but not all.

Amorya
  • Reply 3 of 4
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    I inquired at the Sprint Store today about the new Palm Centro. When I brought up the question of tethering the phone's EVDO interface via bluetooth to my notebook, the rep specifically mentioned that while using EVDO, I would not be able to make or receive phone calls. Apparently this issue is not just limited to AT&T and EDGE.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    To make things even more confusing, depending on the configuration of the EDGE tower that you are connecting to, it is possible for you to receive calls (so that they cut off your data connection). Here is a nice article on the subject:

http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2007/07/2...while-on-edge/