Slow after a few minutes of non-use

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This started about a week ago. Upon the computer waking, or even after a few idle minutes, I can't access anything.

The cursor works and I can move it to an icon, dock, etc.; however, clicking or double-clicking doesn't do anything. After 30 seconds to a minute, everything works fine and the problem is gone - until I stop using the computer again even for a few minutes. This is not devastating, but it is very annoying.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Try cleaning your caches out with cocktail:

http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/index.php

reboot when you've cleaned them out.

To do this, launch it, put in your password, go to files tab > caches, choose options. Select kernel caches and close the window. Then choose system and user caches then hit clear. Reboot and it will take a bit longer to restart as it rebuilds these caches.

If you still get a problem, try doing a repair permissions with Disk Utility. Maybe verify your drive too - if it's spinning down, maybe it's having trouble waking back up again. That likely won't show up in the verify check so look at the SMART status too at the bottom of the Disk Utility window.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Try cleaning your caches out with cocktail:

http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/index.php

reboot when you've cleaned them out.

To do this, launch it, put in your password, go to files tab > caches, choose options. Select kernel caches and close the window. Then choose system and user caches then hit clear. Reboot and it will take a bit longer to restart as it rebuilds these caches.

If you still get a problem, try doing a repair permissions with Disk Utility. Maybe verify your drive too - if it's spinning down, maybe it's having trouble waking back up again. That likely won't show up in the verify check so look at the SMART status too at the bottom of the Disk Utility window.

As usual, Marvin, you came through. I downloaded Cocktail, but I tried doing repair permissions first. That did the job. Thanks. I'll clean out the caches tomorrow.