New iMAC or MacPro for Business Use?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My company is about to upgrade its computers for top management. We are deciding between the iMac versus the MacPro. We need the machines to be reliable, sturdy and secure. We currently run on laptops and are moving away from them due to general reliability and stability concerns. I assume that the MacPro is a safe and solid machine. Is the new iMac so? I understand that there is a freezing issue but, we can wait a few weeks until that is ironed out -we're going to wait for Leopard anyway. The built-in monitor of the iMac would be a plus. As far as typical apps, we are not power users. We use common business apps; no graphics, video, music, etc.

I am also interested in setting up some kind of RAID array. Can the MacPro do this internally? Iomega just released an external RAID solution that may be viable for us. Any thoughts on iMac versus MacPro would be very much appreciated. Also, is the MacPro due for an upgrade/replacement?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Wait and see if new hardware comes out that same time as 10.5
  • Reply 2 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by znalg View Post

The built-in monitor of the iMac would be a plus.

It's not, it's glossy only (very reflective) and if you get dead pixels, your whole machine has to get sent back. Check out the repair bills for people who have had to get a new screen outside of warranty.

Quote:

As far as typical apps, we are not power users. We use common business apps; no graphics, video, music, etc.

iMacs are fine for lower-end stuff but I really think the shiny screen will irritate you if you use it regularly. What would be better for business use is a mid-range headless machine that has a small form factor that supports a two drive RAID setup but alas it is not to be found.

Quote:

I am also interested in setting up some kind of RAID array. Can the MacPro do this internally?

Yes.

Quote:

Any thoughts on iMac versus MacPro would be very much appreciated.

iMacs suck. Mac Pros suck less but are expensive.

Quote:

Also, is the MacPro due for an upgrade/replacement?

Long overdue. The last real update was last year 08/2006. All they did in 04/2007 was bring in an 8-core, which was a CPU drop-in. No real changes at all.

So really it's been over a year since the last update, which is very poor but that's what we've grown to expect hardware-wise.