iPhone future gen?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/071015/lam092.html?.v=101

Code:

Press Release Source: Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Mobile & Wireless

Broadcom Leaps Ahead of the Competition with the World's First '3G Phone on a Chip' Solution

Monday October 15, 12:08 am ET

Over a Year Ahead of Competitors, Broadcom Introduces Single-Chip HSUPA Processor

BCM21551 Features Full CMOS RF, Rich Multimedia, Bluetooth(R), FM Radio, FM Transmitter and More, Packed on a Single 65nm Die to Slash Price, Size and Power

IRVINE, Calif., Oct. 15 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Broadcom Corporation (Nasdaq: BRCM - News), a global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications, today announced a new single-chip HSPA (high-speed packet access) processor that integrates all of the key 3G (third generation) cellular and mobile technologies on an extremely low power, single 65 nanometer CMOS die. Broadcom's new "3G Phone on a Chip" solution enables manufacturers to build next generation 3G HSUPA phones with breakthrough features, sleek form factors and very long battery life, all at a fraction of the cost of today's solutions - driving widespread consumer adoption. Never before has anyone integrated as many radio devices on a single chip, which demonstrates Broadcom's technology leadership in multi-modal CMOS RF technology.........

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Cool.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    So? Show me that 3G iPhone.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    iphone 2 should be annoucned at macworld jan 08. If this is just being announced now then I doubt it would be used in the next phone but defiantley the one after that.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

iphone 2 should be annoucned at macworld jan 08. If this is just being announced now then I doubt it would be used in the next phone but defiantley the one after that.

I really don't see new hardware that quickly. From the pics I've seen there's limited room for additional components inside and unless they halve the RAM package physical dimensions I don't see how they can double the RAM, and I'd expect that to be a minimum upgrade requirement.

Then again, I don't know how they pack all the goodness inside that little phone anyway, so what the heck do I know?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    The main problem with the iPhone as I see it is the very slow EDGE speed--as soon as this is resolved, as I'm sure it will be with iPhone2---

The phone will beat ANYTHING on the market---

EDGE is just too slow for internet surfing -----

So---many who have not yet bought their phones will do so then---and many who have bought them, will junk them, or give them away and buy the new ones.

Apple really is rocking
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

June 08 at the least, no sooner. The iPhone just came out, so if anything, a minor update at MacWorld. Jan '09 is much more likely for any second gen. product.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammick View Post

The main problem with the iPhone as I see it is the very slow EDGE speed--as soon as this is resolved, as I'm sure it will be with iPhone2---

The phone will beat ANYTHING on the market---

So---many who have not yet bought their phones will do so then---and many who have bought them, will junk them, or give them away and buy the new ones.

Apple really is rocking

I'm starting to think that is relative to your location signal strength or something. I surf with edge on my iPhone all the time and I know it's faster than 56k used to be by far here.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammick View Post

I hate hearing people whining about the speed of EDGE. It's like what, 236k Max? More likely around 150 or 100? I hae DIAL UP at home, people, DIAL UP. 56.6 kbps downstream max. I would take EDGE over dial up any day. I have used the iPhone, and it runs about three times as fast as the internet on my mom's iMac. Quit whining! Seriously!

[/rant]
  • Reply 9 of 10
    I'm not whining--I'm stating a fact---EDGE at this point stinks---way too slow for web surfing---

If it were adequate ATT and Verizon and Google wouldn't be fighting for a piece of the 700 megahertz spectrum that the government is going to be auctioning off.

People are buying the phone DESPITE it being slow because the phone itself is so neat---it does so much so well, but surfing on EDGE?? No way!!!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    P.S.

If you can live with dial up---

there is no discussion here