Advice on buying a MacBook (Update coming soon? should I wait longer?)

in Genius Bar edited January 2014
OK, 1st off, I'm 13, sorry if I sund totally n00bish, but I only discovered computers exist about 2 years ago, and the internet later than that. My grandparents gave me $1000 on my 13th birthday (way back in April) to buy a computer. At that point leopard was scheduled for a spring realease, and I decided to wait a month or so. Then, of course, the date changed to October. I decided to wait it out, knowing it would be worth it. Mac OS 10.5 is coming out in 9 days now, and I don't know what to do! If you look at the page for a MacBook in the Apple Online Store, it says:

Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard and its 300-plus new features and innovations are coming Oct. 26, 2007.

If you buy a qualifying Mac between October 1, 2007 and December 29, 2007, and it does not include Mac OS X Leopard, you?re eligible to get Leopard after it?s released for just $9.95 plus tax.

I'm guessing that means that on December 30th, they come with it preinstalled, I only know what's been on the official site, so culd you guys clue me in as to any rumors circulating that might make it worth my while to wait longer? This computer is going to have to last me at least until college, so I don't want to be stuck with something second-rate 5 days before there's a major update. I also really want a white computer, to match my 1st gen nano. Any advice?


  • Reply 1 of 5
    Tough call. I'd wait for Leopard, obviously, but than there's the question of when newer Macbooks will be coming out. I'd suspect fairly soon, although I have no insider knowledge to back that up. Also, hardware-wise, the current Macbooks are pretty solid. But faster frontside busses with more powerful CPUs can't be far away. Then again, that will be true at any point in time for the foreseeable future, as computers are always getting faster/cheaper/better/etc.

    So my final verdict is:

  • Reply 2 of 5
    Oh, Thanks so much.

    I've waited since April, so I don't want to wait too much longer, but I don't want to wait much farther then that. Then again, should I wait for bug fixes? And how much longer would it take to have an updated MacBook? \
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Well, you only have to wait about 6 days. It comes preinstalled on the day it is released, but they have the discount go back to december, because some distributers might not get the computers with leopard till then. That being said, if you go to an official Apple store, (not a reseller like CDW), on the 26th, or order online on the 26th, your computer will come with Leopard. If you were to buy a macbook pro right now, it would come with Leopard, because of the week-long shipping delay right now.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Oh, Welcome to the forums! hope to see you around here alot when your computer comes.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Yeah, I'd pull the trigger on or after the 26th.
Sign In or Register to comment.