Parallels & Word Perfect and Microsoft Money

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am about to make the switch. I am a longtime PC user and have a few questions.



1. It appears that whether I use Boot Camp or Parallels I still have to load Windows XP. The only XP disc that I have came with my Dell PC. Do I need a fresh previously unregistered XP version or can I use the existing disc to run either or both of these programs? The PC programs that I would miss the most are Word Perfect and MS Money or Quicken.



2. Will Parallels properly run Word Perfect 11 or 12? I can load MS Office for Mac since I have the software, but I am a longtime WP user?



3. Will Parallels run MS Money which I currently run on my PC. (I used to use Quicken for PC). I have read posts that people are dissatisfied with Quicken for Mac which I would otherwise purchase.



4. If I run Parallels or Bootcamp do I have to then load the antivirus, antispyware and firewall software? One of my primary reasons for the switch is that all of that software just eats up my PC resources and I just can't deal with it anymore.



5. Is the main advantage of Bootcamp that it runs PC programs the best, but the disadvantage is that you must reboot?



Thanks for the help.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,228moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bassesq View Post


    1. It appears that whether I use Boot Camp or Parallels I still have to load Windows XP. The only XP disc that I have came with my Dell PC. Do I need a fresh previously unregistered XP version or can I use the existing disc to run either or both of these programs? The PC programs that I would miss the most are Word Perfect and MS Money or Quicken.



    If the Dell disc is a restore disc, it likely won't work. I doubt it would work with Bootcamp even if it was an installer as Bootcamp is quite picky about what CDs it likes. Parallels is much more forgiving. Parallels is fine for the apps you want to use.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bassesq View Post


    2. Will Parallels properly run Word Perfect 11 or 12? I can load MS Office for Mac since I have the software, but I am a longtime WP user?



    3. Will Parallels run MS Money which I currently run on my PC. (I used to use Quicken for PC). I have read posts that people are dissatisfied with Quicken for Mac which I would otherwise purchase.



    Parallels will run most software fine. The ones you have to watch are hardware graphics accelerated apps like games (though there's even some compatibility there) and lower level software like USB and CD software (though again there is some compatibility).



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bassesq View Post


    4. If I run Parallels or Bootcamp do I have to then load the antivirus, antispyware and firewall software? One of my primary reasons for the switch is that all of that software just eats up my PC resources and I just can't deal with it anymore.



    They are just as vulnerable but you don't have to keep them running, Parallels should be shut down when not in use. You can even prevent Parallels going online and do all your internet stuff from the Mac side. That won't prevent malicious installers though.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bassesq View Post


    5. Is the main advantage of Bootcamp that it runs PC programs the best, but the disadvantage is that you must reboot?



    Yes but it's mainly just things like games and lower level stuff that need access to the hardware. The performance hit for the majority of software is minimal and the rebooting gets tiresome after a while.



    I started with Parallels, then moved to Bootcamp for some old games I missed and now I don't use either. I just don't need Windows. If there is the odd thing, I use Parallels and I boot the bootcamp partition. I kind of like this setup because I can access the FAT32 partition very easily if I need to copy stuff over.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bassesq View Post


    Will Parallels run MS Money which I currently run on my PC. (I used to use Quicken for PC). I have read posts that people are dissatisfied with Quicken for Mac which I would otherwise purchase.



    The latest MS Money works fine for me, and the one before that as well. So, no worries there.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Thanks for the detailed answers
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Please allow me to ask two more questions.



    1. Can I use a Windows XP OEM version?

    2. Will the virtual serial ports for my USB GPS receiver work when running Windows programs?



    --- CHAS
  • Reply 5 of 5
    You'll have to try and let us know.
Sign In or Register to comment.