Mac Pro or iMac, needs are in thread.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've recently settled with Worker's Comp insurance for an accident that has disabled me. For the 1st time in my life I can afford a Mac Pro, but I don't want to just waste money. I would like to buy a computer I can use for 5 or 6 years.

My main need is converting video files to h.264 for my AppleTV and iPod (2 or 3 videos a day).

This is what I am currently faced with (click thumbnail):

This conversion has been running for 40 mins and there's 360+ left to go on my Mac Mini 1.5 G4 (overclocked 1.25 G4) (This is for a video of 49 mins)

Will I notice a huge improvement in speed of the Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66 over the iMac 2.8 for encoding h.264, or ripping DVD's, for AppleTV and iPods?

I don't play any games, nor will I use Windows.

edit: I have had this answered, thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

I would like to buy a computer I can use for 5 or 6 years.

This is a weird use-case. You want to do fast video conversions, and want to use the computer for 5, 6 years. Why don't you get an iMac and a base-model mac mini? Just set up the mac mini to chug along while you use the iMac for everything else. You can even go so far as to stash the mini in a corner somewhere, and VPN to it.

Anyway, you can refresh the mini relatively frequently, selling the old boxes on eBay. As computers get faster all the time, you'll find out that the mac mini of 2010 is probably going to convert videos faster than the Mac Pro of today. You might also consider getting an FW external drive, which of course you can network via the mini.

The other option is to build a cheap Linux PC for the video processing.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I think Splinemodel's solution makes a lot of sense. The only concern I would have is the future of the mini. If it is dropped then you could be without a path to 'upgrade'. Still a core 2 mini slave could give you years of service just encoding videos.

Otherwise it makes more sense than a Mac Pro.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,341moderator
    You could try this:

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file...cts_eyetvturbo

a relatively inexpensive H264 hardware encoder. Then maybe wait until the new quad Penryn processors arrive before upgrading.

Penryn launches on 11th November (3 weeks) and Apple could have some new products. The Mac Pro is due an update.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

This is a weird use-case. You want to do fast video conversions, and want to use the computer for 5, 6 years. Why don't you get an iMac and a base-model mac mini? Just set up the mac mini to chug along while you use the iMac for everything else. You can even go so far as to stash the mini in a corner somewhere, and VPN to it.

Anyway, you can refresh the mini relatively frequently, selling the old boxes on eBay. As computers get faster all the time, you'll find out that the mac mini of 2010 is probably going to convert videos faster than the Mac Pro of today. You might also consider getting an FW external drive, which of course you can network via the mini.

The other option is to build a cheap Linux PC for the video processing.

Thanks Slinemodel! You brought up a point I had not really thought through. I was only looking at a Mac Pro under the false assumption that it would be effective technology for 5 or 6 years.

You stated that "As computers get faster all the time, you'll find out that the mac mini of 2010 is probably going to convert videos faster than the Mac Pro of today." So I started looking.

My Mac Mini was introduced in 2004 (I think), so I looked at the PowerMac introduced at the January 2001 MacWorld Keynote. Actually it is a review from someone who ordered one: http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G4ZONE/G4_533mhz_review/

The 2001 PowerMac is a 533MHz G4 vs my 1.25 (1.5 OC) MHz G4. My Mini has more (and faster) Ram and a bigger Hard Drive. The list goes on and on. My Mini spec wise is far superior to the 2001 PowerMac, except for possibly the graphics card.

Since I have a nice 22" LCD now, I think you have talked me into replacing my Mini with another Mini before they disappear. Then abondon my 5 or 6 year strategy and in 2 years buy a faster Mac Mini (if availible), Mid Tower (if availible) or an iMac (if I have to).

So thanks again Slinemodel, you have saved me a bunch of cash, and shown me a better upgrade path.