Will Time Machine work with Networked NAS Drives?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have an Airport Base Station with a USB hard drive hooked up to it. Will time machine work with that or any other type of networked drive? I have seen references to using a USB or firewire drive but with many laptops being used these days that would be very inconvenient.

If it doens't work with networked drives is it possible to use it where yo only plug it in at night or so for it to update the data on the drive?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Apple's web site for Leopard's Time Machine does not indicate support for a USB 2.0 HD attached to an AEBS. It was there a few weeks back but has been removed since. One must conclude from this that it's not supported with Leopard's GM 10.5 release on Oct 26. Time will tell though. If it's not there on Oct 26 I would strongly suspect Apple is working on it and might release it with .1 or .2 updates after Oct 26.

Apple's web site also does not mention TM backups can be done to network devices. It does say attached FW and USB devices, Servers and Xsan. One might conclude using a Server is kinda like a network device (NAS), but I suspect not.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    I have a Rabid Wombat Gizmo with a DOOPTYDOOP dinglehopper hooked up to it. Will time machine work with that or any other type of networked dongledoop? I have seen references to using a DOOPTYDOOP or horsemonkeys but with many neekburms being used these days that would be very inconvenient.

If it doens't work with horsemonkeys is it possible to use it where yo only plug it in at night or so for it to update the turnips on them?