Dose OS X have a feature that logs you out affter a X amount of time?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have not seen it. Is it in there but I just do not knwo it? This is a big feature all MultiUser OS's Should have. I hope it is in there or is coming soon!

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/mikesicons/Menu3.html"; target="_blank"></a>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Maybe an AppleScript could do that?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Does, mike.

does.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>Does, mike.

does.</strong><hr></blockquote>Do you mean that feature *is* there? Forgive my ignorance, but where?

[edit] oops!! I just realized you were correcting his spelling.

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I think that in the screensavers preference panel you can choose ('activation' or smg like that thumnail) to display the login window when you return to work after the computer went in sleep/screen saver mode.

Just use the screensaver settings to have the feature you're asking for michael
  • Reply 5 of 6
    kaboomkaboom Posts: 286member
    Stephane

I thought the same thing but the screensaver is not really logging out. If all Mm wants is security, then the screensaver will be fine. However, if he wants to actually have the login screen so others can login, he is SOL.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Michaelm8000:

<strong>I have not seen it. Is it in there but I just do not knwo it? This is a big feature all MultiUser OS's Should have. I hope it is in there or is coming soon!

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/mikesicons/Menu3.html"; target="_blank"></a></strong>[/QU OTE]

The following script will do it.

Name the script file "login_killer.command" and add it to the "Login Items" for each user of the machine.

#!/bin/sh

# login_killer.command [seconds]

# Log user out after 'seconds' if specified otherwise in 900 secs.

#

LOL=${1-900}

PID=`/bin/ps -aux | grep 'loginwindow console' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'`

sleep $LOL

/bin/kill $PID

exit 0

This feature is somewhat unforgiving. Do you really want to terminate logged in users after some arbitrary time as given here. I presume not, and that what you really want is to log out a user if the session has been idle for some period of time.

This is a little more difficult but not impossible to do.