New version of Apple Shake?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was wondering if anyone knew when the next version of Apple Shake is due out? ...

Or is Motion going to replace it (unlikely, I know, but it could happen)?

Thanks for any info!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rnaoncfixd View Post

I was wondering if anyone knew when the next version of Apple Shake is due out? ...

Or is Motion going to replace it (unlikely, I know, but it could happen)?

Thanks for any info!

The replacement is supposed to be code named Phenomenon, which is a pretty crappy name IMO compared to Shake. I've been looking for ages for any info about it as I use Shake quite a lot but so far the code name is all the info there seems to be. Apple's level of secrecy regarding these things is very irritating indeed.

I have little doubt that Apple will dumb it down like they do all their software, which is a shame because it's a very powerful program. Then it will be hardware accelerated, which is nice because software based compositing is way slower but that means it will be limited by Apple's craptacular graphics card options just like Motion is.

The release date is supposed to be 2008 but nobody seems to know when exactly. Plus it's not as if this is just going to be a trivial replacement. This will be one of the biggest things Apple has done software-wise for a while as Shake is probably *the* industry standard compositing software. And if they bugger it up, I'll personally fly over to Cupertino and kick SJ in the balls.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Wow, thanks a lot for all the information! I too will be sad if they dumb down the system because I'm really looking forward to a powerhouse compositing program.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I honestly think Apple is going to nail the Shake replacement.

I'm basing this off of how they've evolved Motion which now is really starting to look good but it's simply not deep enough to become an indispensable program like Shake has. The work Apple's done in Motion regarding 3D should be in Phenomenon but on Steroids. Shake already has some of the best tracking tools in industry.

We also shouldn't forget that Apple still has some nuggest from the acquisition of Silicon Grail's RAYZ compositor. I haven't seen anything from RAYZ ending up in Shake. Apple may have acquired SG just to reduce competition but that would be silly as there are still other tools available. Whatever RAYZ has worth building on could end up in Phenomenon.

I like what Leopard offers at the core 64-bit APIs now to leverage and improving multi-core support. The other biggie is moving from OpenGL 1.4 to 2.1 which is probably cleaner than OpenGL 1.4 and relying on a bunch of loose extension. Plus in Leopard you have a dedicated UI thread to the GPU and in 2008 Resolution Independence.

I've been eyeing the results of Apple's new Logic Studio program and for a major upgrade (It basically has a new audio core) there are very few bugs and really no showstoppers. I think we're seeing the benefits of mature API in OS X now.

The Apple Pro App milieu is coming together. I'd like to see NAB 2008 bring

1. A new Final Cut Pro UI- nothing too drastic but give it a spitshine.

2. More "Applification" of Color. Color is amazing but it certainly takes a different mode of thought.

3. Phenomenon- Apple needs to and most likely will nail this app. When Peter Jackson is on speed dial you don't go half assing the Shake replacement.

4. Deliver or acquire a good Match Moving app- The Pixel Farm could be a nice target as they make Match tools for Shake.

Apple's Cadre of Digital AV apps is impressive. They're shoring up weak spots and plugging holes. Next thing I'm going to be looking at is

XSAN 2.0- It should be a healthy update. I hope they do away with the need for a seperate Metadata server and add more connection types beyond Fibre.

XSERVE RAID- Move to a SAS backbone and give me 3.5 and 2.5 drive options. Hell is anyone shipping a dual ported SAS drive yet?

I won't lie though part of me worries like Marvin that Apple may not be ambitious with the next upgrade but I'd say the majority of my thoughts is that Apple will deliver.