Emptying The Trash

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
How come in OS X there isn't a warning before you empty the trash. Because of no warning and seeing how many items were in the trash the other night I accidently trashed half of my MP3s. Isn't it good to have at least some kind of warning?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    There is an alert if you select it from the menu bar or type Command-Shift-Delete, but not if you do it from the Dock.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Alright then. Thanks for the info. I empty it from the Dock all the time. How come there's no warning when you empty it from the Dock?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Now that I think about it, even if I didn't use the Dock to empty it, the warning doesn't say how many items are in the Trash like OS 9.x does. If I would've seen 400 items rather than the 13 that were supposed to be in there nothing would've gotten deleted that shouldn't have.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    No idea, but I just sent feedback to Apple telling them to put it in the Dock empty trash and also to tell how many items/MB you are deleting.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Alright sounds good MacAgent. Thanks.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    solosolo Posts: 89member
    you guys ever get a message that says something like "cannot empty trash because trash.app is in use"?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    No, but I get a message saying that I don't have enough privileges for ,Trash. I know you can empty the trash from the CLI, but I get this message when I [b}Drag[/b] files to the trash. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by solo:

<strong>you guys ever get a message that says something like "cannot empty trash because trash.app is in use"?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I get that message sometimes. Usually I try to empty it again and it empties fine.