What about the AppleTV and earnings?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
If you notice, the AppleTV is under the iPod Division.

This product will mature and will be interesting to see where they go with it in 2008. By 2009 when the switchover to Digital comes around I hope Apple makes the AppleTV with a built-in DSP to convert Digital to Analog so people without HDTV compliant systems can continue to use their pre-existing hardware while those with HDTVs can use the AppleTV with extra features only they can use.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Apple TV already includes an analog output, component.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    bg_nycbg_nyc Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

If you notice, the AppleTV is under the iPod Division.

This product will mature and will be interesting to see where they go with it in 2008. By 2009 when the switchover to Digital comes around I hope Apple makes the AppleTV with a built-in DSP to convert Digital to Analog so people without HDTV compliant systems can continue to use their pre-existing hardware while those with HDTVs can use the AppleTV with extra features only they can use.

I would think that as the iTMS starts to release HD content, they will keep the component inputs to keep their non-HDMI customers happy. But because of studio demands, I think that purchased HD content would be restricted to the HDMI output. This is to remain in compliance with HDCP. So unless you have an HDCP compliant TV and/or cables, you wont be able to watch purchased content in HD. It may be downgraded to SDTV (480i) or DVD Quality EDTV (480p) when you watch via the component cables.

But who knows if there will ever be HD content on iTMS. This is all speculation.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Apple TV already includes an analog output, component.

For using with Analog TVs. but not a DSP to convert Digital to straight Analog.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bg_nyc View Post

I would think that as the iTMS starts to release HD content, they will keep the component inputs to keep their non-HDMI customers happy. But because of studio demands, I think that purchased HD content would be restricted to the HDMI output. This is to remain in compliance with HDCP. So unless you have an HDCP compliant TV and/or cables, you wont be able to watch purchased content in HD. It may be downgraded to SDTV (480i) or DVD Quality EDTV (480p) when you watch via the component cables.

But who knows if there will ever be HD content on iTMS. This is all speculation.

Agreed. With the over 90 Million televisions being served with non HDTV compliance just barely a year before the switch over people would be fooling themselves if the majority of these systems will be switching.

The FCC has the info on the Conversion:

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/digitaltv.html

Excerpt:

Quote:

What About My Analog TV? Will It Still Work?

After February 17, 2009, you will be able to receive and view over-the-air digital programming with an analog TV only by purchasing a digital-to-analog set-top converter box. Between January 1, 2008, and March 31, 2009, all U.S. households will be able to request up to two coupons, worth $40 each, to be used toward the future purchase of eligible digital-to-analog converter boxes. Eligible converter boxes are for the conversion of over-the-air digital television signals, and therefore are not intended for analog TVs connected to a paid provider such as cable or satellite TV service.

The National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) is administering the coupon program. For more information, visit the NTIA website at http://www.ntia.doc.gov. The Commission?s DTV website, www.dtv.gov, also provides information for consumers on the upcoming digital-to-analog converter box coupon program. More detailed information regarding NTIA?s coupon program, what digital-to-analog converter boxes will be eligible, where and when they may be purchased, and the related costs involved will be provided by the Commission and NTIA as the commencement of the coupon program on January 1, 2008, approaches.

If I Already Have an Antenna, Do I Need a New One to View the Digital Signals?

A special antenna generally is not needed to receive digital signals. You may have antenna issues, however, if your current antenna does not receive UHF signals (channels 14 and above) well, because most DTV stations are on UHF channels. In such a case, you may need a new antenna or to add a UHF section to your existing antenna system. This equipment should be available at most bricks-and-mortar and Internet consumer electronics retailers.

Apple is going to have to strike deals with DirecTV or DISH or Comcast to make their HD theater a reality.

Unless they get content as you point out it's DOA for HDTV stuff other than buying DVDs and then storing them in a NAS setup for later consumption.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I'm from NY and I recently took a business trip to Seoul. I stayed in a JW Marriott and got on the wireless connection in the hotel. I was floored by how fast the connection was!!! It was pure heaven. My brother has slingbox. I connected to his slingbox and I experienced the clearest connection ever. I updated some podcasts, again. Blaazing fast. I should have tested the signal speed, but i didnt think of it.

Anyway, my point is that with unbelievable speeds like in Seoul, I could defintiely see HD content at iTMS a reality. They have the bandwith available to support the download of a 1GB file within minutes. But imagine the time it woudl take to download 30 minutes of 1080p content at 1.5mbps? I would want to die...

I pray for a revamp of the antiquated broadband system in the US. And if i could get 15-25mbps like overseas, i would gladly pay for it and i think alot of folks would. But for the time being, were stuck with 480p content when it comes to feature length films in m opinion.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bg_nyc View Post

I'm from NY and I recently took a business trip to Seoul. I stayed in a JW Marriott and got on the wireless connection in the hotel. I was floored by how fast the connection was!!! It was pure heaven. My brother has slingbox. I connected to his slingbox and I experienced the clearest connection ever. I updated some podcasts, again. Blaazing fast. I should have tested the signal speed, but i didnt think of it.

Anyway, my point is that with unbelievable speeds like in Seoul, I could defintiely see HD content at iTMS a reality. They have the bandwith available to support the download of a 1GB file within minutes. But imagine the time it woudl take to download 30 minutes of 1080p content at 1.5mbps? I would want to die...

I pray for a revamp of the antiquated broadband system in the US. And if i could get 15-25mbps like overseas, i would gladly pay for it and i think alot of folks would. But for the time being, were stuck with 480p content when it comes to feature length films in m opinion.

I've heard that Korea's Broadband is pretty solid. I have 5Mbps Fios which is nice but I'm salivating about the prospect of 30Mbps but $189 a month is more than a bit out of my price range. I'd pay $70 maximum for that speed so Verizon has some work to do.

I also think we forget that a movie doesn't have to download in its entirety to watch it..it just needs to buffer enough so that you never catch up to the download. Imagine if Apple did this with the Apple TV.

1. Apple TV 2.0 contains more RAM and integrated parts. The price drops $50

2. Apple downloads the newest and hottest HD trailers at user specified times. The trailers are tagged with metadata tracking genre.

3. You decide you want to watch Knocked Up and initate the download. The Apple TV begins to download the movie and buffer but in the meantime it plays 2-3 Trailers in the Comedy genre whilst the download queues up.

4. After the Trailers play Apple plays a snazzy "Feature Presentation" piece and the movie starts.

Consumers are already conditioned to see a few trailers before a movie. And while the trailers are playing you can get snacks and drinks and get seated for the main event. Apple would be smart to take advantage of this "condititoning" and mask the time it takes to buffer HD movies. The metadata tag would be nice. Pop in a horror discs..see the latest horror trailers. I'd venture to say Apple could turn this feature into some backend funds from studios wanting to get better placement. If it lowers my rental fees I'm all for it.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

*snip* Imagine if Apple did this with the Apple TV.

1. Apple TV 2.0 contains more RAM and integrated parts. The price drops $50

2. Apple downloads the newest and hottest HD trailers at user specified times. The trailers are tagged with metadata tracking genre.

3. You decide you want to watch Knocked Up and initate the download. The Apple TV begins to download the movie and buffer but in the meantime it plays 2-3 Trailers in the Comedy genre whilst the download queues up.

4. After the Trailers play Apple plays a snazzy "Feature Presentation" piece and the movie starts.

Those are good ideas... interesting that you didn't say 'integrated DVD player' or 'cable card'. Those things wont happen in my opinion, as Jobs wants this to be strictly a tool to stream video to your TV. I cant see any incentive they have to include the ability to watch non-iTMS content.

A price drop would defintely make it more attractive to me and alot of folks i think. And making it more of a theater experience is very cool. I would also like to order content directly from the Apple TV.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Just noticed that AppleTV is being sold in Costco stores now... I think that means the next AppleTV will be on the way within 6 months!